You are not logged in.

nymickey

Starting Member

Sunday, June 26th 2011, 6:59am

Correct set-up sequence from the outside spigot

Hi Everyone !!!

I am DESPERATELY trying to keep my small vegetable garden alive despite the blazing heat of Atlanta.

I have a row of 3 watermelon plants, 3 eggplants, 2 red bell pepper plants, 2 green bell pepper plants, 2 grape tomato plants and 2 Big Boy tomato plants.

The soil is clay, so I have installed 1/2 GPH pressure compensating drippers. I only had 10 of them so the other 4 are 1 GPH pressure compensating drippers. The only tubing being used is 60 ft of 1/2 inch polytubing because I was able to snake it through all plants. I do have 100 ft. of 1/4 polytubing, but since it is such a small garden (12ft. X 16ft.) I was able to get away with the 60 ft. of 1/2 inch tubing by snaking it around each plant.

I have several questions:

1.) What is the proper set-up from the outside spigot? The reason I am asking is because I bought so much stuff (see list below) that I do not know the proper installation sequence. The garden is far away from the spigot, so ideally I'd like to attach more stuff to the end of the garden hose than the spigot.

Water Timer

3/4 in. Hose Thread Swivel to 1/2 in. Compression Adaptor & Washer

3/4 in. Hose to Pipe Thread Anti-Siphon with Filter and Washer

10 GPH Pressure Compensating Flow Control - this is just a blue disk/washer type of thing that I don't know where it would go?

3/4 in. "Y" Filter and Fertilizer Applicator

3/4 in. Pipe-Threaded Coupling

2.) It seems like the water is really coming out from the side of the dripper rather than the little tube that would connect to a 1/4 in. tube. Is that normal? Is it normal for it to be dripping so slowly?

3.) In terms of a Pressure Regulator, what PSI do you recommend? Lastly ... do I just turn on the spigot at full strength and let the pressure regulator do its thing?

Sorry for so many questions ... it's just that I am DEFINITELY not a handyman or a fixer-up guy.

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Monday, June 27th 2011, 12:10am

Theres a lot of different ways to irrigate- particularly with drip. I guess just stick with what you got even though there's better ways

This isn't a permanent setup is it? If it is a back flow device should be installed

Did someone tell you to buy all these items or did you go to the store and pick it up on your own?

At the hose bib> Anti-siphon and the water timer.

At the end of the hose to the garden> Pressure reducing valve> Filter> fittings to connect into drip line

If water is coming out of the side of the tubing than you didn't puncture the pipe correctly or did not insert the dripper far enough into the tube. No water should be coming out of the side

Yes the dripper is rated for gallons per hour.. So they just drip away

For drip 20-30 psi good pressure

Yes just leave your hose on.

Rate this thread