You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Mud Man

Monday, June 27th 2011, 8:25pm

Burying vs. valve box?

I plan to install a system with in-line valves placed about 35 feet apart and will not attempt to manifold them. I'd rather not install valve boxes in order to avoid having the covers at the surface. Is there any big issue with just burying the valve?

seansy59

Advanced Member

Monday, June 27th 2011, 10:05pm

If there was ever a problem with the valve, you will have one heck of a time finding/digging it up. The valve is 100% watertight, so nothing will get in/out of it, but, if you ever need to service it, it will be a nightmare.

Spend a few bucks on single valve boxes for each one instead of "rippin' ya hair out later". :)
I'm no expert..........YET! :D I just like to suggest things and learn... :thumbsup: See what the pro's have to say first.

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Monday, June 27th 2011, 10:59pm

lol

8| 8| 8|

really?

Just put the boxes in .. You're doing yourself no favor by burying them.

Or I guess bury them because it's job security for me

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, June 28th 2011, 8:25am

valves buried without a box mark an individual who has contempt for all of mankind.......

Mud Man

Tuesday, June 28th 2011, 10:24am

Thanks guys

Thanks to all who responded. I appreciate the advice from sage sprinkler installers like yourselves. You convinced me -- individual valve boxes it is. Mud Man

servicetechMA

Advanced Member

Friday, July 8th 2011, 7:21pm

thats funny,it sure is job security

servicetechMA

Advanced Member

Friday, July 8th 2011, 7:36pm

call up a local irrigation company,tell them you have an 8 zone system you put in yourself,you didnt use valve boxes just buried single valves all over, and now 6 zones dont work,see what he says lol. lol at 5 bux a wack for a 6'' round,bury them a little low,plant grass over them,just make a map of where they are. we need to be able to track it, hear the tracker scream over it,then hit the box. its not as much fun if there all buried,then we dig them and hit wires and solenoids with the shovel. a 15 min tracking job could get very costly if you dont use boxes,you dont need to leave them exposed,we really like to be able to hit the lid with a shovel when were tracking

Matt Dildy

Tuesday, July 26th 2011, 2:27pm

sharp shooters and solenoids dont mix well! course got to love the old systems in which the installer made an attempt by burying the valves with a tin can over them. rusty, sharp buried tin cans and fingers dont mix well either.

Central Irrigation

Supreme Member

Tuesday, July 26th 2011, 5:06pm

Just located 10 buried valves today, as a matter of fact. Fortunately they were all on single strand, so pinpointing was easy! The Joker that installed the Toro 252's 25 years ago had the nerve to install them sideways in the ground! They're all in boxes now.

ReddHead

Advanced Member

Wednesday, August 10th 2011, 9:12am

Also, makes it a bit harder to manually turn them on for testing.