You are not logged in.

str8jkt

Tuesday, June 28th 2011, 3:33pm

Proper routing for main and lateral lines?

Just have a quick question as to what routing I should use or if it will really make a difference.

Bear with my ascii art for this. The line is being fed from the Northwest corner and I have 9 sprinkler heads. Easiest would be to do the first option but would it be better or does it make a difference where I should be routing them from the second option? Thanks guys/gals!

Option 1
|
|
|
|
|.______.______.
|
|
|
|.______.______.
|
|
|
|.______.______.

Option 2 (forgive the ~ at the left side.. Had to space it that way. Essentially this runs down the middle with laterals to the left and right where above they just route to the right.
|
|
|
|
|.______.______.
~~~~~~~~|
~~~~~~~~|
~~~~~~~~|
~.______.______.
~~~~~~~~|
~~~~~~~~|
~~~~~~~~|
~.______.______.

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "str8jkt" (Jun 28th 2011, 3:39pm)

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, June 28th 2011, 7:26pm

this is the 3 gpm zone - you are kidding, right?

str8jkt

Tuesday, June 28th 2011, 10:17pm

this is the 3 gpm zone - you are kidding, right?
I'm guessing from that it doesn't matter then. My bad, sorry.. :S

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Wednesday, June 29th 2011, 8:50am

The general rule is to make the runs as short as possible with as few turns as possible. This is done to minimize pressure losses. Generally speaking, it isn't going to make much of a difference if your pipe layout looks like a bunch of Tees or a bunch of Elles. Both are short direct paths. What you don't want to do is make a Z pattern...

--------------------------+
..........................|
+-------------------------+
|
|
+--------------------------+

But if you are talking about a design that only calls for 3gpm and a pipe size around 1", pressure losses will already be so low that it won't make much difference if you run the pipe in a spiral pattern.

aswilburn

Tuesday, July 5th 2011, 11:48pm

The general rule is to make the runs as short as possible with as few turns as possible. This is done to minimize pressure losses. Generally speaking, it isn't going to make much of a difference if your pipe layout looks like a bunch of Tees or a bunch of Elles. Both are short direct paths. What you don't want to do is make a Z pattern...

--------------------------+
+-------------------------+
|
|
+--------------------------+

But if you are talking about a design that only calls for 3gpm and a pipe size around 1", pressure losses will already be so low that it won't make much difference if you run the pipe in a spiral pattern.

Rate this thread