You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

njitgrad

Unregistered

Thursday, June 30th 2011, 2:25pm

some basic questions

I called the local company (whose label was affixed to my Imperial Valet Timer on the house I just purchased) to make an appt for July 8th to resolve some directionality issues I am having with my sprinklers. I'm wondering if there's a chance I can resolve these issue myself with a little help from you folks.

Keep in mind...I am a complete newbie.

I have 5 zones in my setup. I'll start with the major issues, then deal with tweaking later.
If you need me to identify or photograph any thing, let me know and I will post it.

Zone 1: front lawn & lawn between sidewalk
On the heads that are by the curb, the rotation seems to be too wide and water is being projected into the street. Can I easily adjust this? What about the stream? Its very concentrated, not spread out.

Zone 2: front of house
A pair of tall heads pop out and waters the shrubs in front of them. However the fan spread out is too far and it is getting the siding and foundation wet. I don't want extra moisture next to my foundation if I can avoid it. What would be a good solution here?

Zone 3: side of house
A rotating small head pops out of the mulch surrounding my foundation and waters the shrubs on the side of the house. The rotation is too great and gets the siding and foundation wet.

Zone 4: other side of house
Basically same issue as zone 3

Zone 5: back yard
One particular rotating head starts out shooting a concentrated stream directly at my wooden shed. I have to remember to shut the door every time I want to manually water the lawn. Can this be adjusted accordingly so it starts just after the shed?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, June 30th 2011, 8:50pm

Nothing out of the ordinary there. A more important question, maybe, is what form of backflow protection does the system have. What device, at what relative elevation compared to the pipe and heads downstream of it.

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Friday, July 1st 2011, 2:00am

Since your new to the irrigation world and obviously attentive to detail. Have the company come out and show you the ropes of your sprinkler system.

If I was handed your list. I would be able to complete everything in an hour, as well as check everything else out on your system- suggesting other needed upgrades if necessary, review and adjust your controller programming. Check your meter for leaks and at the same time explaining and showing you how do to it.

I do it everyday

Though I do hate the lists.. It takes longer for me to read it and figure out what the HO is talking about vs me turning on the system and checking everything out myself