You are not logged in.

Sierra9093

Starting Member

Tuesday, July 5th 2011, 8:06pm

Leak Detection

I am working on a sprinkler system that apparently has a leak. I say apparently because I have a zone with only 2 heads, 1 Maxi-Paw and 1 spray head. First I noticed that the pressure on both heads was low. But when they are activated the water meter seems to go full blast. Shut them down, water meter is quiet. I then capped off both heads so no water would flow. Fired up the valve, of course nothing through the capped off heads, but the water meter is going full blast. I can hear water flowing through the valve, but it is showing up no where. Any suggestions?
:huh:

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, July 5th 2011, 9:06pm

Keep walking the area, and maybe have a helper, because if it is a large flow of water, there may be a deep cavity it is flowing into.

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Friday, July 8th 2011, 1:22am

Agree with boots... Let it run for 10-15 min and try and find a wet area.

If you can't find anything your next step aside from running new pipe from the valve to the sprinkler heads is to isolate the line out.. Try to find the 1/2 way mark of the piping between the valve and sprinkler heads, dig up and cut / cap . Then check your meter again.. and so on.. Sometimes it's better to replace a section of piping rather then finding the leak.

AutomaticSprinklers

Wednesday, July 20th 2011, 8:24pm

Sometimes the grass will bulge up instead of water coming out.

daza

Starting Member

Monday, August 15th 2011, 4:37am

RE: Leak Detection

I am working on a sprinkler system that apparently has a leak. I say apparently because I have a zone with only 2 heads, 1 Maxi-Paw and 1 spray head. First I noticed that the pressure on both heads was low. But when they are activated the water meter seems to go full blast. Shut them down, water meter is quiet. I then capped off both heads so no water would flow. Fired up the valve, of course nothing through the capped off heads, but the water meter is going full blast. I can hear water flowing through the valve, but it is showing up no where. Any suggestions?
:huh:
Did you find the problem in the end?

s123mith

Starting Member

Tuesday, July 10th 2012, 5:21am

Hi,
As you have mentioned that you have a leak in the valve of your sprinkler system. and you can hear the sound of leaking but you are unable to recognize the leakage that from where water is coming. According to me you have to change the valve by yourself or by hiring a plumber. These type of leakages can be then controlled by latest technologies and instruments which are generally used by leak detection companies.