You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

aquamatic

Advanced Member

Wednesday, October 8th 2003, 2:38pm

Winterizing Before Backflow

I have hear a few different opinions on this one--

Is it OK to winterize with pressurized air before the backflow verses after. I have a few setups that have the drain plug before and some after.

Will the high pressure damage the PVB???

bhungue2

Advanced Member

Wednesday, October 8th 2003, 2:49pm

We install our blow plugs before the doublecheck. I have heard that you're not supposed to blow through them. But I can't figure out why blowing air through would do any more damage than letting water flow through. We've never experienced any problems with doing it this way.
Bhungue2

RVLI

Supreme Member

Wednesday, October 8th 2003, 3:19pm

Your not supposed to blow out sprinkler systems with high pressure. Use a 45 psi regulated high cfm air compressor, such as the pull behind type used to jackhammers and stuff, but regulated to about 45-50 psi.

bhungue2

Advanced Member

Thursday, October 9th 2003, 7:01am

[:D]
Bhungue2

Rays Sprinklers

Supreme Member

Thursday, October 9th 2003, 4:31pm

Yea....anything really over 80 your messin with...some guys have huge trailored compressors, which allows for them to winterize the entire system at once and under 3 minutes...ive seen this done...its pretty neat....its ok to winterize through backflow......like bhungue said water flows through..and if they are outside you have to get the water out
Thanks
Ray
Rays Above and Beyond Automatic Lawn Sprinklers

Joseph L. Swinehart

Wednesday, October 29th 2003, 2:10pm

Excatly right, no more than 45 psi, and we did blow through the backflows, Colorado winters.

Watch the closest head to you, watch all the water come out and go to the next zone.

Good luck.

Joe S.

Murphy

Friday, October 31st 2003, 7:19am

I used AVPBs and I just remove them every winter and store them in the garage. I use unions so they are easy to remove. Then, just blow out using a T or use the threads the union is screwed to.

Rays Sprinklers

Supreme Member

Friday, October 31st 2003, 12:17pm

[:D]
Thanks
Ray
Rays Above and Beyond Automatic Lawn Sprinklers

DIYer

Saturday, November 15th 2003, 10:28am

See: http://jerman.com/backflowpreventers/FEBCO/ssfp765.pdf

Rays Sprinklers

Supreme Member