You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Kikz

Thursday, July 7th 2011, 8:12am

Pls help my grass recover...

It's summer in my place but i was wondering why my grass won't grow,i scarified this last march and put fertilizer on it but i have no luck making them green,it's looking pale green now and yellow and there are some brown spots,after checking the soil,this is what i've found out,i don't know if it's a moss but it's choking the grass,is it a result of over watering or dryness?can my lawn still recover from this?pls let me know the step by step options to cure this,your help is greatly appreciated...

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, July 7th 2011, 11:16am

When's the last time you de-thatched that lawn?

Kikz

Thursday, July 7th 2011, 12:29pm

de-thatched
Thanks mate,i have'nt detatched them for quite a while but i have scarified them in the middle of march so i was expecting a good result,that moss like thing is all over the place but some are not thick yet,i was really clueless if it's due to over watering or lack of water...

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Saturday, July 9th 2011, 2:52am

Is this under any kind of tree?

Kikz

Saturday, July 9th 2011, 8:37am

Is this under any kind of tree?
Yes mate,it is under a pine tree and two small trees,i don't know if it's a thatch but some parts of the lawn which is not under those trees are also having the same problem but not as worst as those who are under the tree,i tried to rake it hard but the grass is also peeling when i force it,any suggestion?thank you...

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Saturday, July 9th 2011, 10:28am

Unfortunately there's not much you can do.

When the pine needles drop , they have a high acidic base. So the dirt is damaged for grass. As well, the shallow feeder roots from the tree will suck up all the water, stealing it from the grass.

You can replace the dirt and re-seed / re- sod. However by this time next year it will look like it does now.

The best thing to do is to convert this to a mulch bed with native plants and the tree's

Kikz

Saturday, July 9th 2011, 12:24pm

Unfortunately there's not much you can do.

When the pine needles drop , they have a high acidic base. So the dirt is damaged for grass. As well, the shallow feeder roots from the tree will suck up all the water, stealing it from the grass.

You can replace the dirt and re-seed / re- sod. However by this time next year it will look like it does now.

The best thing to do is to convert this to a mulch bed with native plants and the tree's

Will think about that,thanks

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, July 9th 2011, 1:06pm

Many trees aren't interested in co-existing with lawns. They want it all.

servicetechMA

Advanced Member

Saturday, July 9th 2011, 7:03pm

maybe try some lime to lower acid level,cut a few low branches,and constantly clean up the needles,and then miloganite, if they have it around you,im sure they do,miloganite is dirt cheap but incredible,i hand dug in a couple zones at my house, i put a bunch of miloganite on it,more than i had anywhere else before, and in like 9 days,the
6'' wide by 100' area,was 10 inches high perfectly green and it looked crazy, the whole lawn was brownigh and then there was this 100' of this zone pattern basically of tall green grass, pines are horrible for grass, but there is a slight chance it may help a few blades of grass and blend a little better.
all that and the grass may still not even grow, you could try some shade tolerant grass seed is lime and milganite do not work,or turn it into a mulch bed haha.

Kikz

Sunday, July 10th 2011, 2:17am

Quoted

maybe try some lime to lower acid level,cut a few low branches,and constantly clean up the needles,and then miloganite, if they have it around you,im sure they do,miloganite is dirt cheap but incredible,i hand dug in a couple zones at my house, i put a bunch of miloganite on it,more than i had anywhere else before, and in like 9 days,the
6'' wide by 100' area,was 10 inches high perfectly green and it looked crazy, the whole lawn was brownigh and then there was this 100' of this zone pattern basically of tall green grass, pines are horrible for grass, but there is a slight chance it may help a few blades of grass and blend a little better.
all that and the grass may still not even grow, you could try some shade tolerant grass seed is lime and milganite do not work,or turn it into a mulch bed haha.

Will try to find miloganite in my place,maybe they have it here but in different name,you know french haha,from what i know,it is more like an organic fertilizer right?will give it a try if i find one,btw i tried to kill that moss like thing with moss killer but it did'nt do anything so i suppose it is'nt a moss,will try to rake it gently again and see if i can get rid them out,even if i put fertilizer on it,those mose will just suck them so i was wondering if digging some small holes will get it done?

Rate this thread