You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

seansy59

Advanced Member

Thursday, July 7th 2011, 6:25pm

Placing heads near road/gas line

I am running into a "roadblock". I want to irrigate the front lawn strip by the road in between our front lawn and pine woods. It is only about 10 ft wide. I was going to place many rotors with low gpm nozzles along the road (by the curb) to shoot in, but found out I can't dig there because of a marked gas line. (unless its deep enough) I only dig down 6"-12" for sprinkler lines. Can I dig over the gas line? Or what? They marked it. But never told us how deep it is, or if we can go over it. The powerlines are in the air, we don't have sewer systems, nor water lines. Gas only.

Should I put them in the woods shooting out towards the road instead. I was going to put rotors, but now what should I put. It is about 200ft between the valve box and road. I was even going to put a small valve box with a manual pvc valve near the end of the woods to shut off the zone when I need to do maintnance instead of running back to the house.

I try to run spray heads on a zone I had, and they don't even shoot far then. They seem to take alot(x30) more pressure then low gpm nozzles in rotors. I want to irrigate the first few plants at the end of our driveway too and maybe a few flowers.

Blue circles: Sprinkler head

Red Dotted Line: GAS

Green pointy things: Plants:)

I'm no expert..........YET! :D I just like to suggest things and learn... :thumbsup: See what the pro's have to say first.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, July 7th 2011, 8:00pm

If you need extra zones to do a job right, then that's what you install. Odds are good that you could get adequate coverage from a row of MP Rotators near the woods, spraying at the road.

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Friday, July 8th 2011, 1:15am

Where I live the rule is 2' on either side of the spray painted line.. If you damage it within that parameters then it's your fault.

For us, if were in that parameter and we have to follow to gas line trench we scout out spot locates of the line every 20' or so, then hand trench the zone.. No machines.

If we cross a gas line- we just spot locate down deeper then what the pipes would be to make sure were not going to hit it.

I agree with boots using MP rotators .

servicetechMA

Advanced Member

Friday, July 8th 2011, 6:28pm

gas line

i Would go with rain bird 3500's,they are small rotors,put like a .75-1 nozzle,then mp's for the plants,mps are alright, but i see hundreds of them a year,and alot of them dont turn well,have strong streams on the sides,they do work good if you have crazy water pressure,low pressure they dont work to well. if its a strait area rain bird rotary nozzles (mp's) are excellent. they arnt adjustable like an mp though,they come preset 1/4,1/3,1/2,2/3,3/4 etc. but they turn year after year.maybe look into rain bird prs sprays they regulate pressure throughout all the heads. as for the gas line,jeeze,if there is a risk of hitting it 8'' or so down,they have issues lol,although weve all seen the gas line thats 2'' down.good luck

seansy59

Advanced Member

Friday, July 8th 2011, 7:39pm

Thankyou for all your replies! I am not going to risk hitting the gas line. I rather lose some water shooting into the road then blowing myself up 8| I will put heads by the woods (about 4-5) to shoot out, and just lower the radius of each one to the best. I have terrible pressure, but I plan on using 1 gpm nozzles on each head (like servicetechMA said) , which should'nt be a problem. With only taking about 5-6gpm on the whole zone. I can max it out at about 7-8gpm per zone, and thats already pushing it. :whistling:

Since this is a 200ft run out to through the woods, can I put 1 or 2 small spray heads (in garden) on the zone :?: I just don't know how small of a gpm flow it would be, since spray head put out alot more water then rotors.
I'm no expert..........YET! :D I just like to suggest things and learn... :thumbsup: See what the pro's have to say first.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, July 8th 2011, 9:11pm

maybe better to drip irrigate individual garden plants, if using the same zone as the rotors

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Monday, July 11th 2011, 1:22pm

Laws vary from state to state. But as I understand it, marked utility locations do not mean you can not dig in that area. It just indicates where the lines are APPROXIMATELY located and that you must take precausions digging in that area.

In our state, the "zone" is 18" of either size of the marked position. You are expected to NOT use mechanized digging "in the zone" unless you have been able to verify the exact location of the utility. You are allowed to hand dig (or use other "safe" methods of excavation such as vacuum excavation) "in the zone".

So unless your state laws say otherwise, you can place the sprinklers where you want them, but you will need to hand dig the trenches rather than using a trencher or pipe-puller.

Rate this thread