You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

wchang

Sunday, October 12th 2003, 5:25pm

leaky valves

I have 5 zones in my small lawn (recently bought the house). Only 2 zones are hooked up to sprinkler lines (in use). The other 3 had short lengths of PVC pipes pointing into the ground (unused) put not hooked up to functional sprinkler lines (don't ask me why the previous owners did this). The 5 valves that control these zones are all located together on the side of my house. I had a landscaper plug the 3 unused pipes since I did not want to mistakenly turn on those 3 zones and have massive amounts of water discharged near the valves (ie during power outage when the controller resets - this happened a couple of days after I moved in and I had a flooded side yard). All 5 valves are antisiphon valves. Now when one of the zones that is working shuts off, water temporarily sprays out of the seal of a couple of the unused valves. Does anyone know why this happens? From the best of my knowledge, this only started after I have the 3 unused pipes plugged. Did this cause the leakage? Thanks in advance for any help I receive.

SprinklerGuy

Supreme Member

Wednesday, October 15th 2003, 5:10am

It is actually common to see this happen.....tighten the screws. The screws on these antisiphon type valves work loose due to movement in the valves when coming on and going off as well as (my opinion here, not a scientific fact) expansion and contraction of the plastic valve parts in sun/shade heat/cold......you will have to tighten screws often on these valves if you want a completely leak free enviornment.

If it is practical...install a PVB or whatever is code in your area for backflow prevention...and install new below ground valves. Would be better.
Sprinkler Solutions, Inc.
Arizona and Colorado
www.sprinklersolutions.net

wchang

Wednesday, October 15th 2003, 8:38pm

Thanks for the suggestions SprinklerGuy!

Rays Sprinklers

Supreme Member

Sunday, October 19th 2003, 3:50pm

if you install inground valves definatly use the 2400T valves
Thanks
Ray
Rays Above and Beyond Automatic Lawn Sprinklers

Rate this thread