You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

seansy59

Advanced Member

Tuesday, July 12th 2011, 10:00am

Skipping filtering

From my other post on how I installed my sprinkler system, I temporarily ran it off a 1/2" hose bibb with o.k. flow. We are having a plumber put a 1" pvc line to my PVB, and then 3/4" pvc already runs 10 feet from the PVB to my manifolds.

He wants to bypass the house filter, as it turns the house and hose bib line into 1/2" right through the filter. He was going to tap right into the 1" main coming off the well, and pressure tank, and run that 70ft to the outside. We have sediment in our water. Its really fine though, it constantly clogs the house filter. He says if he runs the 1" right to the system, and bypasses the filter since its 1/2" and clogs alot, that it will give me tremendous flow to the system.
He says our pump pressure is 40/60psi.

Will the sediment hurt anything? He says it won't, because it is so fine, its finer than sand. And it accumulates over a long time, although, it clogs up the filter quickly. He's coming by on thursday to install. He says he always bypasses the house filters for irrigation. WIll rotor head withstand very fine smaller than sand particles running through them a bit? I use Hunter PGP's, and Toro Prostream XL's.

Here's what he explained to us, and what he's going to do.

Also, is the winterization drain/blowout valves in a appropriate spot? One to drain backflow, and one to blow out the system?

I'm no expert..........YET! :D I just like to suggest things and learn... :thumbsup: See what the pro's have to say first.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, July 12th 2011, 12:04pm

By all means bypass the house filter, but consider adding a 100-mesh strainer upstream of the PVB

seansy59

Advanced Member

Wednesday, July 13th 2011, 2:23pm

Will do, Thankyou!
I'm no expert..........YET! :D I just like to suggest things and learn... :thumbsup: See what the pro's have to say first.

Rate this thread