You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Wednesday, July 13th 2011, 4:00pm

Bad Rainbird Solenoid

Rainbird's website says that their current solenoid won't fit my older valve...they give no recommendations!
I have a Richdel R811 solenoid and the piston falls out while other brands don't.
Will any R811 solenoid work in my valve?

What do I need to know to complete the Repair? Where can I obtain a replacement?

Any Info is appreciated

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, July 13th 2011, 4:45pm

There is/was no connection between Richdel and Rainbird - unless you are talking about an EV-100 valve that used a solenoid like Richdel's.

mrfixit

Thursday, July 14th 2011, 12:35pm

Are you unscrewing the solenoid a lot that it matters if the piston falls out?

With the older solenoids the pistons are supposed to fall out. If they don't there's something wrong with them. Even with brand new solenoids I take the retainer out that holds the piston in and throw it away. It serves no function in operating the valve.

I've seen the retainer cause problems.

Matt Dildy

Tuesday, July 26th 2011, 10:38pm

<-----pulls retainer out.....those richdel solenoids aside from the retainer havent changed in YEARS and will fit almost any richdel/toro/irritrol valve out there starting with the old green richdel 205 to the very popular (altough i dont know why) irritrol 2400 "jar top"

forgot to mention one other thing, the o-rings throughout the years have changed a bit on these solenoids, shouldnt be a problem but worth mentioning, make sure the new solenoid screws in easily without a cross thread and there are no leaks around solenoid base. HAND TIGHT ONLY if you have to tighten more to stop any leaking something is wrong.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Matt Dildy" (Jul 26th 2011, 10:46pm)