You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

ddunkin

Starting Member

Sunday, July 17th 2011, 11:48am

I thank you guys !

Hello everyone,

My name is Dave, I'm 53 and I live in Longview, Texas. I'm sick to death of spending all dang weekend (and some weekday evenings), dragging my sprinkler and water hose around trying to keep my grass green and looking nice!! Which by the way cannot be done with a drag around sprinkler in Texas in summertime, and I'm particular about my grass looking nice!

I need a proper sprinkler system!

For some time now, I have been researching how to design and install a sprinkler system. I'm a fairly technical minded type of guy so I figured I would educate myself on the subject and then do it myself! This of course to save myself some $$ but more importantly, I'm of the mentality that "if you want it done right, you gotta do it yourself"! If y'all know what I mean?!?!

So, I've read the design tutorial (about 100 times), studied so many of the technical specs etc of all the different sprinkler system components and parts, brands etc. I learned all sorts of stuff about Hydraulics which I found extremely interesting too!!

I figured I had a grip on it all, right? Made me up a Bill of Materials of all the parts, drew out my property and located all the heads and everything....just like Jess's tutorial says do.

Almost ready to start!

Then I found and started reading this forum.

Having read and read what you guys have commented on this forum, I have come to the conclusion that no matter what us amateurs think, to have a properly designed, efficient and problem free (as possible) sprinkler system ....it should be left to the pro's such as yourselves.

I want my sprinkler to work and I want it to work right!
Some of the things y'all have talked about never crossed my mind and you all have made me realize I don't need to be doing this myself.

So, I called up some sprinkler guys in my to come to my house and have a look. In discussing what they would recommend as far as # of zones, types of sprinklers and timers and everything else.

They confirmed to me that what I've come to realize from you all, ...that even after all the hours I spent reading, calculating losses, GPM's and whatnot, .... that I still don't have the first clue!

There is no better teacher than experience.

My sprinkler system contractor is scheduled to start installing my system on Tuesday!

Y'all Rock and I wish you all the best!

Dave,
Longview, Texas

grey

Advanced Member

Thursday, July 21st 2011, 11:55am

RE: I thank you guys !

Having read and read what you guys have commented on this forum, I have come to the conclusion that no matter what us amateurs think, to have a properly designed, efficient and problem free (as possible) sprinkler system ....it should be left to the pro's such as yourselves.

So, I called up some sprinkler guys in my to come to my house and have a look. In discussing what they would recommend as far as # of zones, types of sprinklers and timers and everything else.

They confirmed to me that what I've come to realize from you all, ...that even after all the hours I spent reading, calculating losses, GPM's and whatnot, .... that I still don't have the first clue!

Dave,
Longview, Texas

Well, just because they call themselves professionals not all of them are. I asked for quotes too. Guess what? 2 out of 3 didn't bother checking the mainline size or static water pressure. When I asked the last contractor he said that he assumes that the water pressure is 70 PSI which is 10-12 PSI more than it really is. 2 out of 3 didn't measure the yard, they just walked around and said "yeah its gonna be so many sprinklers".

But yes, if you are not confident leave this job to experienced people.

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Thursday, July 21st 2011, 9:07pm

Grey-

I agree with what you say

However it's not always necessary.. There are many times I can quickly see a yard design walking into a yard .using the pressure reading and the water meter size and be completely fine on the install.

If I spent 4 or 5 hours doing everything and getting all of these accurate measurements .. When my original thought of the design did exactly the same thing in a 30 min bid. Gotta charge more or I'm loosing out on money