You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

DAVID LP

Starting Member

Monday, July 18th 2011, 10:55am

old toro hydro system

I have an old toro hydro system(control valves are actuated by water pressure) came with house. ran for couple of years. controller out. want to change over. PROBLEM, i don't know where all the valves are located. is there a way to figure out where they are without digging up the whole yard??
david lp

seansy59

Advanced Member

Monday, July 18th 2011, 11:45am

-Start poking the lawn for valve boxes with a stick. Carefully.

-Or, you can rent a wire tracer. They are difficult to use if you've never used one before.

-You can also call an irrigation expert, and they'll do it all for you.

Try to find where the PVB (pressure vacuum breaker) is on the side of the house and the boxes may be located near that. Although, if the system is old, it may not have a PVB. Over time, the valve boxes will get covered be dirt/grass, covered by a bed of mulch for plants, or even the valves directly buried. (I HOPE NOT :wacko: )
I'm no expert..........YET! :D I just like to suggest things and learn... :thumbsup: See what the pro's have to say first.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, July 18th 2011, 12:19pm

There are no wires in a Toro hydraulic system, so tracing is out, and there isn't enough metal in one of those valves for a detector to notice.

Look over the old threads on "Freetime Four" controllers.

By the way, it is entirely possible that an old Toro hydraulic controller could be repaired at the factory.

Rate this thread