You are not logged in.

rckowal

Monday, July 18th 2011, 3:33pm

Rainbird Valve Trouble

Mine is an old four zone system using Rainbird EV100 valves with popup spray sprinklers. One zone has stopped working properly when being turned on by the controller. I've checked & found that the valve turns on & the sprinklers run fine when the thumb screw is manually operated to open it.

However, when I turn it on using the controller, there is some water puddling at the sprinkler heads but they don't pop up & spray. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm thinking the solenoid may be malfunctioning - even though it appears to be getting an electrical signal from the controller.

Before taking it apart, I thought it might be helpful if I asked for concurrence of my diagnosis first. Your ideas & comments please.

Best regards, Richard

seansy59

Advanced Member

Monday, July 18th 2011, 4:06pm

Check the wiring at the controller and valve, make sure there is power coming to the valve.

The water puddling near the heads when the timers switched on indicates that there is a signal between the controller and valve, which is good.

After that, since you said it comes on fine with the bleed screw, then the solenoid may be dirty. A good careful cleaning may do the trick.
I'm no expert..........YET! :D I just like to suggest things and learn... :thumbsup: See what the pro's have to say first.

rckowal

Monday, July 18th 2011, 4:25pm

"Check the wiring at the controller and valve, make sure there is power coming to the valve."

Huh? Am I missing some thing? This seems to conflict with the next sentence.

"The water puddling near the heads when the timers switched on indicates that there is a signal between the controller and valve, which is good."

"After that, since you said it comes on fine with the bleed screw, then the solenoid may be dirty. A good careful cleaning may do the trick."

OK, I'll try cleaning. I also have a spare solenoid that I can swap for the original one.

While waiting for a reply, I tried running it with the controller. It actually worked properly once out of five tries. Wire connections to solenoid & controller are good so intermittent electrical signal isn't likely.

Best regards, Richard

seansy59

Advanced Member

Monday, July 18th 2011, 4:52pm

:D Sorry, I sometimes reverse my sentences and repeat myself.
I'm no expert..........YET! :D I just like to suggest things and learn... :thumbsup: See what the pro's have to say first.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, July 18th 2011, 5:25pm

parts for a Rainbird EV-100 can be had under the Irritrol HR1 model. Certain failures of a diaphragm assembly can give you a partially opening valve. Other issues could be in play.

That valve is long out of production, so there might come a time when you just decide to install a new manifold of valves.

rckowal

Monday, July 18th 2011, 9:01pm

parts for a Rainbird EV-100 can be had under the Irritrol HR1 model. Certain failures of a diaphragm assembly can give you a partially opening valve. Other issues could be in play.

That valve is long out of production, so there might come a time when you just decide to install a new manifold of valves.
Thanks for the comments. After trying another solenoid & cleaning the valve, it's become obvious that the time to replace them has come. As you suggested, it does appear there is a problem with the diaphragm. For what ever it's worth, my system was installed in the summer of 1988 - 23 years ago. Many of the heads & one or two valves have already been replaced.

Best regards, Richard

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Tuesday, July 19th 2011, 12:39am

I had 3 valves today from 3 different clients with the same issue- different valves though

Electrically everything works- even with a new solenoid. However it's not fully popping open up the diaphram- confirming the flow controll is fully open.. Fun times.

lbuchanan

Starting Member

Saturday, October 1st 2011, 10:32pm

I have a similar problem. I replaced the diaphragm. Now the head only pop up when I turn the bleed screw. They do not pop up when I turn the solenoid. Is this a solenoid problem?

mrfixit

Sunday, October 2nd 2011, 4:48am

You probably blocked the port with the diaphragm or possibly pinched something closed.

What model valve are we talking about?