You are not logged in.

jventerprises

Unregistered

Tuesday, July 19th 2011, 9:23am

Pipe from House to ground

Hi,

I am in Massachusetts and have a question about the pipe that runs from the house to the manifold in the ground.

I have a 1" pipe that exists the house just above the foundation. It runs through an RPZ and then to the ground into a manifold. Now, I live in an area that freezes. Don't I have to worry about the ground freezing and heaving the manifold up and breaking the RPZ or pipe?

Is this something I need to worry about?

seansy59

Advanced Member

Tuesday, July 19th 2011, 11:17am

As long as you blow out the system at the end of the season and drain it, you will be fine.
Winterize the RPZ also by opening the "drain valves" and leaving them open.
I assume like most sprinkler systems I see, you have a water shutoff from inside for the system.

Winterizing a sprinkler system
See what the experts say first..........
I'm no expert..........YET! :D I just like to suggest things and learn... :thumbsup: See what the pro's have to say first.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, July 19th 2011, 11:31am

For new homes in cold climates, the problem can be just the opposite. The soil that is backfilled along the foundation will settle, and make an install look way crooked.

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Thursday, July 21st 2011, 2:35pm

Take the RPV inside in the winter. (Install unions). Blow out the water.

jventerprises

Unregistered

Saturday, July 23rd 2011, 9:59am

that sounds like the best answer to me. That way I don't have to worry that I left a little water in there, plus I don't have to worry about the pipe from the ground up changing height as the ground freezes.

thanks

Rate this thread