You are not logged in.

seansy59

Advanced Member

Tuesday, July 19th 2011, 11:30am

Using smaller nozzles for less zones

My pump is 40psi-60psi.

I have "about" 6-7gpm. I wanted to leave headroom so water can be used in the house when needed, and its not strugging to keep up.

I have Hunter PGP Ultra heads, and Toro Prostream XL heads. The Hunters have nozzles that go all the way down to 1.5gpm. Are these good nozzles to use if I want to add more to a zone?
I'm no expert..........YET! :D I just like to suggest things and learn... :thumbsup: See what the pro's have to say first.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, July 19th 2011, 12:30pm

Doesn't work that way with pumps - you have to use enough water to keep it from cycling on and off - even if that leaves little extra for the house. Not really an issue, because your storage tank covers you for intermittent household use.

seansy59

Advanced Member

Tuesday, July 19th 2011, 2:15pm

My sprinklers always look like they have no pressure, its kind of "droopy" and the pressure goes up and down. Right now I have 2 gpm nozzles in each, and have 3 heads per zones, total of 6 gpm. So, if I was to put 1.5gpm nozzles in 4 heads, it will still be 6gpm.

For 6-7 gpm and 40-60psi pressure, how many heads (size nozzles in each) on a zone should I have? :?:
I'm no expert..........YET! :D I just like to suggest things and learn... :thumbsup: See what the pro's have to say first.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, July 19th 2011, 3:07pm

First things first - get the well pump to run constantly, at a pressure of at least 50 psi on the gauge, and then measure that flow, and then design the system from that information.

Let me gently suggest that you should not be so eager to post responses to questions when your own knowledge is in short supply, and your own system so sorely in need of improvement.

seansy59

Advanced Member

Tuesday, July 19th 2011, 3:27pm

Well, I had a plumber come and put in a 1" line to the PVB, and he said the pressure and GPM was fine for a sprinkler system. He said 4-5 heads per zone would work well, and thats how I installed it in for. So, I am kinda bummed about what he told me, and I was following what the "pro" said.

"Let me gently suggest that you should not be so eager to post responses to questions when your own knowledge is in short supply, and your own system so sorely in need of improvement."

Yes. I know, I have been doing my own system and some others for people (volunteer work) for about a year now, and while my knowledge is not the best yet on irrigation, I am still coming along. I ususally like to just throw things out there that others may not realize, but thats why I always put at the end of my posts "see what the pros have to say first". Meaning, mine's just a suggestion, not the answer. :)

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, July 19th 2011, 5:46pm

This site's search engine would point you towards doing a "bucket test" to evaluate the supply, and to test before you design and install. Do the test.

Rate this thread