You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

bhungue2

Advanced Member

Wednesday, October 15th 2003, 8:22am

Bidding

You know there are some people who install piece of junk systems, they try to put in systems for as low price as they can rather than put in a good quality system. It kind of annoys me to see these people get lots of jobs because they can underbid everyone else. What can I do to help the people we give bids to understand that we may cost a little more but we offer a better quality system? Any ideas on how to tell people this and get them to not think that you are just greedy?
Bhungue2

RVLI

Supreme Member

Wednesday, October 15th 2003, 8:57am

Around here, my self draining systems sell out A LOT of people rather than having to blow out every winter. Usually its around 3-500 more for a self draining system, but they are willing to pay the price for a system that drains itself! Become a member of the IA, get licensed and insured, that way when you go to a bid proposal or estimation you can show the client what makes you stand out more than the competition.[:)]

bhungue2

Advanced Member

Wednesday, October 15th 2003, 1:38pm

So self draining systems work pretty well. I don't have any experience with them really.
Bhungue2

RVLI

Supreme Member

Wednesday, October 15th 2003, 2:23pm

Yes they drain pretty well. But for the added protection I blow them out anyways, which is a good idea in any case.

bhungue2

Advanced Member

Wednesday, October 15th 2003, 4:23pm

If you are going to blow out the system anyways why would you put drains on? Just curious. Also what's the IA?
Bhungue2

RVLI

Supreme Member

Wednesday, October 15th 2003, 5:41pm

I do it just for the extra precaution..better safe then sorry, eh? Irrigation Association www.irrigation.org

SprinklerGuy

Supreme Member

Thursday, October 16th 2003, 4:36am

so let me see...you sell them a self draining system for 300-500 more than a normal system....but yet you trust the self draining system so little that you get them to pay you to blow it out too? I call BS on this one dude. Sorry but if that is truly what you are doing it is wrong. Besides, as far as I remember you work on a golf course.....right?
Sprinkler Solutions, Inc.
Arizona and Colorado
www.sprinklersolutions.net

bhungue2

Advanced Member

Thursday, October 16th 2003, 7:12am

Okay lets go back to the original question - there are some people who install piece of junk systems, they try to put in systems for as low price as they can rather than put in a good quality system. It kind of annoys me to see these people get lots of jobs because they can underbid everyone else. What can I do to help the people we give bids to understand that we may cost a little more but we offer a better quality system? Any ideas on how to tell people this and get them to not think that you are just greedy?
Bhungue2

SprinklerGuy

Supreme Member

Thursday, October 16th 2003, 7:24am

There isn't anything to tell them unless you have a reputation to point them to. I have been in business for almost 10 years and I still have the same problem you do.....however most people can tell we are reliable, honest, and good at what we do when the estimator speaks intelligently with them. There are some companies with great salesman/estimators that install crap systems, these are the ones to watch out for.

I would say this too, know your numbers, know how much you need to make daily, bid accordingly. Don't get greedy. Perhaps you can install a quality system for less?
Sprinkler Solutions, Inc.
Arizona and Colorado
www.sprinklersolutions.net

bhungue2

Advanced Member

Thursday, October 16th 2003, 8:16am

thnx
Bhungue2

Rate this thread