You are not logged in.

tracydr

Unregistered

Friday, July 22nd 2011, 5:50pm

New Home, can't figure out how to MANUALLY turn on 4 sprinkler stations..pics

We just moved into a new home. The pic/link below is of the stations in our front yard. We can manually turn on 1 of the stations, but I cannot figure out how to manually turn on the other 4 (which are all identical/similar). Can anyone tell me where I would turn this type on at, manually? I'm at a loss and I don't want to break anything. THANK YOU!!

Here is a closer pic of the stations....

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, July 22nd 2011, 6:34pm

the very center of the X-handle atop those valves is a bleed screw - gently turn counter-clockwise about half a revolution

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Friday, July 22nd 2011, 7:43pm

Yes the center black cross is the bleed screw

Just below it the center gray cross is the flow control

IF that is turned down then the valve won't work

tracydr

Unregistered

Friday, July 22nd 2011, 8:03pm

Thanks for the reply! I've been outside messing with it. When I turn the black "bleed screw" on top, the only thing that happens is water shoots out the undersides of the bleed screw. Water still isn't getting into the "system"...like it's still turned off or stopping the water flow. We have 1 that is a little different, and when I turn a black round part with wires coming out....the water starts flowing. On the other 3, I can't figure out how to get the water "started".

tracydrMO

Unregistered

Friday, July 22nd 2011, 8:07pm

Hey Mitch,

Would there be any possibility that the "gray" crosses could possibly be stripped on these, or anything like that? I've tried turning and turning those suckers and nothing still works. I've been turing clockwise AND counter clockwise...possibly not turning them far enough, so what would be the proper way and how much. I'm thinking about just replacing them all just to get started. I'm not able to check the lines or sprinklers or anything until I can get water going to them. So far we are 1 for 5 in positive water flow, lol.

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Saturday, July 23rd 2011, 3:33am

Make sure they are fully counter-clockwise then try the bleed screw ( it will shoot water out the sides of it) If that doesn't work the you either damaged the internal parts of the valves by cranking on the flow control or they were already broken.

Were they not working from the controller?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, July 23rd 2011, 11:49am

Something looks a bit hinky about those 311 adapters - specifically the piece closest to the throttle stem.

It might be simplest to just get four more of the Richdel-design adapters like the one you have that works. These days, they could be branded "Lawn Genie" or "Irritrol"

mrfixit

Saturday, July 23rd 2011, 5:33pm

It's possible the seat washers are broke off. The wont come on if they are.

Boots is right. Get rid of those old things.

You'll need the 1" adapters.

www.irritrol.com/valves/valves_300s.html

Orrr just cut those things out of there and glue some new valves on. You don't need unions.

www.irritrol.com/valves/valves_311as.html

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, July 23rd 2011, 6:36pm

A question for the pros that deal with the 311 valve - is there an issue if they are throttled completely down in cooler weather, and later on are hit with triple-digits heat and full sunlight? (thinking internal expansion forces)

servicetechMA

Advanced Member

Sunday, July 24th 2011, 7:02pm

just skipped through quickly,have never seen those valves before,one of them isnt a master valve is it,when you turn one on it works,turn it off none of the others do. Maybe?

Rate this thread