You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

gaftech

Saturday, July 23rd 2011, 11:01am

Pressure Compensating Drip Line Leaking

Hi,

I have a drip line that encircles the house to, I assume, keep the foundation stable. Having not installed it myself, it appears to be a polyethylene line, about 1" in outer diameter, with emitters molded into the line and spaced about 12" apart. I have cracks in the line that have necessitated me to shut off the water to that program. There are no markings on the line that tell me who the manufacturer is. I have searched high and low and cannot come up with any information as to how I might repair/splice this line. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

John in Sanger, Texas
My mind works like lightning...

one brilliant flash and it's gone.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, July 23rd 2011, 11:44am

I think you just replace the entire line - if it is already cracked in places, it figures to crack in more places. I do not know of any one-inch drip emitter line.

gaftech

Saturday, July 23rd 2011, 1:00pm

Wet_Boots - I've since done a little more research and then down to Lowes and I found what I think is a suitable replacement: 1/2" In-Line Drip Tubing with built-in 1gph PC dripper, by Mister Landscaper. I also picked up a couple of couplers and I am going to attempt to splice the line. The main reason for this is that I don't want to have to dig up all this line and replace everything while the temperatures are still averaging 102. I'm hoping that a splice will suffice until the temperatures start coming back down in a month or so. I'm going to have to dig up my entire sprinkler system anyway to find out how the pipes are laid out so that I can redesign the system.

I'll be doing that for two reasons: 1) the idiot that laid out the system apparently didn't know what he was doing because there are large sections of lawn that are not getting watered and large sections getting too much water. I have 7 zones, one of which is the drip, then 3 in front and 3 in back...all rotors. I might be able to adjust some rotor spray patterns in the front, but the back is just flat out illogically laid out; and 2) I'll be putting up a gazebo in the backyard and I need to relocate/replace some sprinkler heads to accomodate the 14ft footprint.

So if I'm going to be doing all that digging later on, I'm hoping a band-aid on the drip system will suffice for the moment.

Any thoughts and/or recommendations would be greatly appreciated,

John
My mind works like lightning...

one brilliant flash and it's gone.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, July 23rd 2011, 1:12pm

Look for Netafim tubing, or similar. The standards in emitter tubing are more likely to be spec'd in metric units. When you invest the time and money for pro material, you gain the ability to maintain it for years to come.

Rate this thread