You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

rckowal

Tuesday, July 26th 2011, 9:32am

Two Rain Bird Rotary Nozzles Don't Rotate

I just changed the nozzles on two zones of Rain Bird 1800 Spray Heads from the MPR to the newer Rotary type. All but two (one in each 7 - 8 head zone) are working fine. My question is: what's wrong with the ones that don't - they spray water but don't rotate?

Following Rain Birds Rotary Nozzle Trouble Shooting list; here's what I've tried so far.
1. Checked nozzle filter screens - they're clean.
2. Checked the home water system supply pressure while a zone is running - one is 31 PSI the other is 28. R.B. specifies a minimum of 20 PSI. Is there a way to check pressure right at a zone spray head?
3. Although they were supposed to be set to maximum at the factory, I checked radius reduction screws by opening them 1/2 - 1 turn - no difference.
4. Cycled zones several times to flush any possible grit from nozzles - no difference.
5. Substituted non-rotating nozzles with another one - no difference.

Since one of the mal-functioning nozzles is on a spray head that is at the end of the (1") water distribution line, I wondered about an obstruction in the line itself. However, the second non-rotating nozzle is in the middle of a seven head zone yet all of the others rotate OK. If there was a clog in the line, it seems like the heads down stream of the non-rotating one would be effected as well.

I've completely run out of ideas. I would very much appreciate suggestions regarding diagnosis & correction of this situation.

Best regards, Richard

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, July 26th 2011, 9:37am

House pressure is not nozzle pressure - you may need more. Odds are that you might have done better using MP Rotators.

rckowal

Tuesday, July 26th 2011, 10:12am

Hi Wet Boots. So how would one measure nozzle pressure?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, July 26th 2011, 11:40am

Spend $$$ on a special gauge tee that fits between nozzle and sprinkler riser.

rckowal

Wednesday, July 27th 2011, 8:56pm

Thanks Wet Boots. Borrowing from your knowledge & my ingenuity, I put together a home made device to measure nozzle pressure using a pressure gauge, a foot of vinyl tubing, a garden hose repair piece & a tubing clamp.

With it, I found that the nozzle pressure (as you surmised) was only 9 PSI - nothing like the 28 PSI home water supply pressure measured at the outdoor spigot. This gadget also helped me to discover a reason why the pressure might be so low. There was one (seriously leaking) head that had sunk out of sight below the sod & was forgotten. Once I found & capped it off, the nozzle pressure went up to 21 PSI. Now the rotary nozzles rotate like they should.

Best regards, Richard

Rate this thread