You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Sunday, July 31st 2011, 3:10pm

Do I need new sprinklers or can I just raise up my short ones?

Greetings,
I currently have 4 inch pop ups but it barely clears the grass blades of my St Augustine. I was looking at ordering a complete new set or 6 inch pop ups but I was wondering if I needed to. Wouldn't it work just as well to buy a 2 inch extender from the hardware store and raise my 4 inch pops higher? I realize the sprinkler wouldn't be flush with the ground but as long as they don't stick up over the grass its fine, right? If I do the 2 inch extensions (and save some money) the sprinkler will sit between the ground and the grass and the end result will be the same - water being sprayed above the grass, not right at it.

Can someone please tell me where the flaw in my logic is. I'm trying to save some money and my current sprinklers work just fine, they are just too short.

Any help?

Mustang Marine

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, July 31st 2011, 3:17pm

Why don't you cut your lawn now and then? :wacko:

Sunday, July 31st 2011, 3:27pm

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, during the Florida summer St Augustin grass dies if cut too short and most around here would say less than 4 inches is too short for the summer. I have tried that and the grass just dies.

Any other thoughts?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, July 31st 2011, 4:07pm

Nothing I have ever read describes a need to maintain any lawngrass with a cut height of more than three inches. You are certainly not going to place popup heads above grade, so you will have to invest in 6-inch popups, if 4-inch popups installed at grade do not satisfy you.

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Monday, August 1st 2011, 11:09am

If you go above grade you're looking for trouble. Get the six inches they are cheap.

Monday, August 1st 2011, 9:40pm

Thank you New Jersey! :) I appreciate the advice from the Garden State. I will go with the 6 inch pop ups. Thought I could save some money, but you are right. I'm not saving that much for the potential problems later on.

Much appreciated,
Mustang Marine

Rate this thread