You are not logged in.

pcrock

Unregistered

Monday, August 1st 2011, 3:00pm

Replacement Solenoid

I need to replace a solenoid on a sprinkler system that is about 10 years old. The sprinkler heads and control boxes are all Nelson so I assume the valves are as well, but not seeing a manufacturer or model number of either the valve or the solenoid. Is there a way to find a replacement (or match) for the solenoid or am I stuck replacing the whole valve (which looks like a much bigger job since there are 5 valves connected together in the valve box)?

servicetechMA

Advanced Member

Monday, August 1st 2011, 3:42pm

Well that all depends,if you can find the valve somwhere online,you can just replace the guts,pretty much the important parts that make the valve. If you cant find that valve,and you have 10 year old valves,and 1 just went. It would be in your best interest to replace them all. Somtimes,actually quite often,when you mess with somthing that is old,like heads for example. If you move 5 old heads, quite often 3 of them will leak after being messed with,its just the way it is lol. That could be the same with the valves too. They usually dont break like heads, but they might sooner than later if you pull the manifolds apart that hold them all together. But if you can find that valve,replace the guts,if you cant find a replacement valve. replace them all if thats at all possible. Its not hard to do,your best bet would be to dig a big area out,dig under all the pipes.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, August 1st 2011, 5:43pm

Does the valve look like this?

pcrock

Unregistered

Monday, August 1st 2011, 6:42pm

The valve is white, maybe 3"X3" square, arrow shaped on one side and is about 1" thick. The solenoid itself is black and rectangular. Ideally I would just replace the solenoid; the valve works fine. Thanks

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, August 1st 2011, 7:06pm

White is unusual - best if you post a photo of the valve

Rate this thread