You are not logged in.

Tuesday, August 2nd 2011, 8:00pm

Zone 3 will not shut off

I have read other posts on this topic but the solutions did not work.
I have 5 zones and zone 3 will not shut off unless I turn off the water. I have replaced the solenoid and the diaphram, but the zone starts as soon as I turn the water back on.

I do have voltage going to the solenoid

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Bill

seansy59

Advanced Member

Tuesday, August 2nd 2011, 8:17pm

Just throwing out some "oops I forgot" questions.

1. Timer in off position?

2. Bleed screw closed on valve?

3. When new one was installed, was it put in the right way? (Arrow facing towards sprinkler laterals)

What you can try, and what the problem may be.

1. If you have voltage going to the solenoid, when the timer SHOULD be in the off position, then its a timer problem. Unplug the timer and see if the zone shuts off. If it does, then your timer is shot.

2. Debris? Flush out the system, take off the solonoid top and run the water for a second or two.

Thats all from me right now.
I'm no expert..........YET! :D I just like to suggest things and learn... :thumbsup: See what the pro's have to say first.

Wednesday, August 3rd 2011, 8:10am

Thanks for the response. I'll try to flush it out and see if that works, but don't think that will work either. I've tried everything else. Really hate the thought of having to replace the whole valve.

Wednesday, August 3rd 2011, 9:16am

Well flushing out solenoid didn't work either. Are there any other ideas out there. This really doesn't make any sense. All the other zones work fine and will come on even though zone 3 doesn't shut off. Maybe trash in the valve, but if so, I can't find it.

seansy59

Advanced Member

Wednesday, August 3rd 2011, 9:30am

:huh: Ok, I'm stumped. Let's see if the other Irrigation Pro's will chime in. You did try everything in my last post, right?

1. Timer in off position?

2. Manual bleed screw closed on valve?

3. When new one was installed, it was put in the right way? (Arrow facing towards sprinkler laterals)

4. If you have voltage going to the solenoid, when the timer SHOULD be in the off position, then its a timer problem. Unplug the timer and see if the zone shuts off. If it does, then your timer is shot.

Other then that, I'm out of "thinking power"
I'm no expert..........YET! :D I just like to suggest things and learn... :thumbsup: See what the pro's have to say first.

Central Irrigation

Supreme Member

Wednesday, August 3rd 2011, 9:40pm

Are you absolutely positive you're working on the right valve?

Thursday, August 4th 2011, 5:16pm

I did all your suggestions and I did get the valve to shut off once last night. Today, however it was back up and running when nothing was on. I have worked on all my valves in the past and never had a problem. These things are really not all that complicated.

However, I did take the valve apart again this afternoon and really studied the top part of the valve (the part with the wire that goes down through the diaphragm). It looked like it might have been a little bent so I straightened it. My thought is, if this wire is off center, the diaphragm might not be able to slide back down and shut off the water. It will be tomorrow before I can put it all back together, but my guess is, it will now work. If it doesn't, then I guess I'll have to replace the valve.

I'll let you know. :|

Friday, August 5th 2011, 10:58am

Well, that didn't work either. Just cannot figure out why the diaphragm does not slide down and cut off the water. Makes no sense. Anymore suggestions would be helpful. :)

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, August 5th 2011, 11:15am

Install a new valve (once you are bet-the-children certain that you have the correct valve)

Central Irrigation

Supreme Member

Friday, August 5th 2011, 5:02pm

What type of valve is it? Brand? Model?

I'm guessing either a Toro 250 or an old Rainbird as they are the only two valves that I recall having a stem.

Rate this thread