You are not logged in.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, August 10th 2011, 7:47am

Ok update... I ran a totally seperate line for the power supply to the control unit. I got a new transformer. The outlet was tested everything was good there. Wired in the new transformer and it lasted a whole 1hour... WTF.. I looked in the containers for the valves (4 of them) and they were full of dirt.. 3 gallons worth. Could this be my problem? I may resort to my local sprikler shop, but really don't want to pay that kind of money. Any thoughts...?
Dirt-filled valve boxes indicate rodents - rodents chew wires (all the wiring should have been checked at the first sign of trouble)

fuzzmanks

Wednesday, August 10th 2011, 11:20pm

My current Orbit timer has a 24vac 300mA transformer. If I need to replace the transformer can I use the transformer from my previous non-Orbit timer? The old transformer is a Class 2 24vac 20VA transformer. I will most likely have to order a replacement transformer due to my local.

I went ahead and switch out the 300mA transformer with the 20VA transformer. It powered up my timer okay, but as soon as I input the command to turn on a watering station, the fuse blew. I replaced the fuse and the same thing happened when turning on that same station. Was too much power going into the timer? Or do you think I have a wiring problem?

Orbit technical support email stated, "As long as the transformer is 24-30 volts and 300-750mA it will work." I went to my local Radio Shack to get a transformer but they do not stock them, however they said the extra powerful transformer (20VA) should not harm my system. What do you think??

mrfixit

Thursday, August 11th 2011, 1:19am

I haven't read all of what's been said. I recommend buying a new controller.

fuzzmanks

Thursday, August 11th 2011, 1:51am

I haven't read all of what's been said. I recommend buying a new controller.
Dang, the blasted thing was only used like 2 to 3 months. I might be able to get a warranty replacement, but that won't help if my underground wiring is messed up.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, August 11th 2011, 7:42am

get a multimeter and check the wiring

ReddHead

Advanced Member

Thursday, August 11th 2011, 9:29am

Dittoing what Boots said. AC motors can wreak havoc on electronics that are plugged into the same circuit and sometimes even across circuits. At my old job we constantly loss the power supplies out of our POS terminals due to employees plugging refrigerators and freezers into our surge strips or dedicated circuits.

Any chance you can leave the fridge unplugged for a while?

Wannakno

Saturday, August 13th 2011, 2:15pm

FUSE OUT

Im not actually replying to the previous message, I just didnt know how to add a post or ask a question, so I clicked on the reply button. I really hope someone can answer my question, which is:

I have the KwikDial Sprinkler System by Irrigol and it was previously flashing "Fuse", but now it's not coming on at all. I figure the fuse needs to be replaced, but I don't know where to find the fuse. I opened the box, and all I found were connected wires. Since I no longer have my owner's manual Im not sure what's what. I even tried to google the information but was unsuccessful with what I was searching for. If someone is familiar with this system would you please advise. I desepartely need answers. Thanks in advance!!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, August 13th 2011, 3:35pm

Wednesday, August 31st 2011, 4:50pm

Update

I bought a third transformer and it didn't last 1 hour. I returned it and Sunrise Sprinklers advised me to test the outlet, test the voltage to the controller and use a new controller. Outlet tested good, the transformer tested 26 volts-good, and a new controller. Its been 2 weeks now and not a problem. So FYI if you are going through the same problems get a new controller. Sunrise was nice enough to loan me a volt meter and a new controller to see if that took care of the problem. Can't beat small town service...

Rate this thread