You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Thursday, August 4th 2011, 6:51pm

Blowing Transformers?????????HELP!

My controller is a Hunter Pro-C PC300i. I recently started insulating my garage and plan to drywall in (controller is located on the wall in the garage). I added a few outlets one of which the controller is on. I have double checked the wiring and used a device that will tell me if I wired something wrong. Everything checks out fine. I plugged the transformer in to power up the controller and nothing. I checked the controller with the battery backup in the rear and it flashes NO AC. I bought a new transformer and it worked fine for a month. I turned off the sprinklers for a couple days to return to the same problem... Could it be in my wiring? I plugged in other tools and they work fine? Any ideas??? ?(

AutomaticSprinklers

Thursday, August 4th 2011, 7:15pm

Have you tried plugging your "bad" transformer into another outlet? Have you checked the voltage on the "bad" transformer? Maybe you have established that your transformer is really bad but by your description you have not convinced me. I can think of no way that your outlet would cause transformers to blow and still read 120 V. So I would plug the transformer in and check volts. Sounds to me that the wires are likely loose somewhere. I would check that first.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, August 4th 2011, 9:25pm

What else is on that circuit?

Friday, August 5th 2011, 7:18am

Theres also a upright freezer on the circuit.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, August 5th 2011, 8:47am

Bingo. Appliance motors can do weird things to the voltage of their branch circuit. Best to get the controller onto another branch.

Friday, August 5th 2011, 6:29pm

Its been this setup for about 3 years...? No power coming out of the transfomer using other outlets or loose connections. Im gonna get another transformer. I'm only 6' from the breaker box I'll add another line as well and see what that does.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, August 5th 2011, 8:23pm

Motors can go bad, too. In general, you want to keep any sensitive electronics off of circuits shared with motors. Garage door openers go on their own branch. I know of folks with computers that couldn't operate them on a circuit with a freezer, unless they ran the computer from a UPS

Is the garage branch circuit run from a GFCI breaker?

Tuesday, August 9th 2011, 8:16pm

Ok update... I ran a totally seperate line for the power supply to the control unit. I got a new transformer. The outlet was tested everything was good there. Wired in the new transformer and it lasted a whole 1hour... WTF.. I looked in the containers for the valves (4 of them) and they were full of dirt.. 3 gallons worth. Could this be my problem? I may resort to my local sprikler shop, but really don't want to pay that kind of money. Any thoughts...?

Tuesday, August 9th 2011, 8:17pm

Yes everything is on GFI outlets.

fuzzmanks

Wednesday, August 10th 2011, 12:09am

Motors can go bad, too. In general, you want to keep any sensitive electronics off of circuits shared with motors. Garage door openers go on their own branch. I know of folks with computers that couldn't operate them on a circuit with a freezer, unless they ran the computer from a UPS

Is the garage branch circuit run from a GFCI breaker?

Not to hijack this thread but I have a related question. I installed a new Orbit timer this spring. I believe my transformer is now toast. I don't know if it was due to a bad lightening storm we had or maybe because I had plugged in a small air compressor into the same outlet. I did replace the fuse but that was not the problem. Would the timer be at risk only when both the compressor and timer are running at the same time?? I'm just wondering if I can still use the same outlet for the compressor as long as the timer is not powering the sprinkler valves at the time I power up the compressor?

My current Orbit timer has a 24vac 300mA transformer. If I need to replace the transformer can I use the transformer from my previous non-Orbit timer? The old transformer is a Class 2 24vac 20VA transformer. I will most likely have to order a replacement transformer due to my local.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "fuzzmanks" (Aug 10th 2011, 11:05pm)

Rate this thread