You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

markgouin

Starting Member

Saturday, August 6th 2011, 3:54pm

water pooling by a sprinkler head

I have replaced the solenoids and diaphrams on all 7 zones, and the backflow preventer valve. System functioning, however, I'm getting a pool of water at one head on zone 4. I dug up the head and checked the line for leak - didn't find anything. Went ahead and replaced the housing and connector while I was in there. Still have the problem. I have no clue what could be causing this?

seansy59

Advanced Member

Saturday, August 6th 2011, 5:02pm

Is it doing it when the zone is off, or when its on?
I'm no expert..........YET! :D I just like to suggest things and learn... :thumbsup: See what the pro's have to say first.

mrfixit

Sunday, August 7th 2011, 2:30pm

If it's pooling 24 hours a day there's probably a problem with the valve. Possibly a cracked seat. Take the valve back apart. Look for debris in the new diaphragm. Look for a crack in the seat.

Maybe the new solenoid isn't tight enough. Don't over tighten.

Woody

Unregistered

Tuesday, September 20th 2011, 3:48pm

I am having somewhat of the same problem. I just had sod installed and I was watering it twice per day. I got a puddle near one of the sprinkler heads, and it seemed to be lower than the rest. I cut back the watering to only 15 minutes once per day, but the problem persisted. The pool of water goes away approximately 24hrs after watering, just in time for the next watering to make the puddle again.

I believe it may be the sloping of my yard causing the problem. My thoughts are that if I raise the sprinkler head and fill the low area that it should go away. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Another possible problem could be the clay underground causing the water to stay higher.

Any help would be great!

Thanks.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, September 20th 2011, 5:30pm

Low head plus poor draining soil equals puddle - a check-valve-in-head will have the water draining from the next head uphill from the low one.

mrfixit

Tuesday, September 20th 2011, 5:34pm

Since it dries up it's probably not a valve problem. It's just the low point on the line as you suggested. You could install a sprinkler with a built in check valve. A check valve makes the sprinkler shut off tight so no water can drain there. However you would get some draining out of the next lowest point.

Installing a new sprinkler would eliminate the possibility that the problem is a bad seal.

Rate this thread