You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Saturday, August 6th 2011, 5:10pm

Water gushing from Anti siphonvalves

Hi,

I have 3 zones in my garden.
Zones 1 and 2 were working fine, but when I turned on zone 3, the sprinklers work fine but water is also gushing out from under the cap on the anti siphon valve.
I have swapped the diaphram with zone 1 and the plunger and there is no change to zone 1 or 3.

Throughout all this, zone 2 has now started doing the same thing.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

seansy59

Advanced Member

Saturday, August 6th 2011, 6:42pm

Try cleaning out each diaphram and every component. If that doesn't work, then you may need to replace the valves, as moving parts DO wear out over time.

Whats the brand and model # of the valves?

How old are the valves?
I'm no expert..........YET! :D I just like to suggest things and learn... :thumbsup: See what the pro's have to say first.

Saturday, August 6th 2011, 7:24pm

Thanks for the quick reply.
They are Richdell 713AP and about 19 years old.
I switched the diaphram with another zone and there was no change to either, that's why i believe it's not the diaphram.
Is there anything else could try?
Mike

seansy59

Advanced Member

Saturday, August 6th 2011, 7:55pm

If you cleaned the solenoid, the diaphram and cleaned the anti-siphon area where the water is flowing out (under the cap), then I am at a loss. :|

If it were me, a 19 yr. old valve I would just replace. Because the smallest things that we often overlook will wear out overtime. But that's just me. :D

See if the other pro's will chime in. Im not a "pro", but I know ALOT about sprinklers since I researched for a year on everything I could to put my own system in. Sorry I couldn't help ya! :(
I'm no expert..........YET! :D I just like to suggest things and learn... :thumbsup: See what the pro's have to say first.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, August 6th 2011, 9:21pm

replace the vacuum-breaker poppets, every one of them - they are a wear part

mrfixit

Sunday, August 7th 2011, 2:55pm

This doesn't have anything to do with the diaphragm. It's the rubber washer on the float/poppit. It's either damaged or missing. Unscrew the cap where the water's gushing out. You'll see a white float. Look at the washer.

You might be able to get a new washer at an Irrigation supply house or replace the whole thing like Boots suggested. You could just buy a whole new valve and harvest parts for all three valves.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, August 7th 2011, 4:17pm

anyone installing Richdel antisyphon valves will eventually carry an inventory of those poppets (washer not available separately) - if you have to special-order them, they are still plenty cheap compared to whole valves.

Monday, August 8th 2011, 12:17am

Thanks to all of you for your advice/expertise.
I will get some new poppets and will let you know.
Thanks again!

Monday, August 8th 2011, 11:03pm

Bad news!
I replaced all 3 poppets and valve cover.
Now water flows in a steady spray at zones 1 and 2.
Zone 3 - it still gushes out.
Any ideas?
Mike

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Tuesday, August 9th 2011, 7:11am

A break in the line would cause this too/ and or the flow control on the valve is set too low

After the zone shuts off you are supposed to see a splash of water come out of these valves

Rate this thread