You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Joseph L. Swinehart

Thursday, October 23rd 2003, 4:22pm

right size backflow

Where can I find the pressure differances in the sizes of backflows.

I came across a 1" backflow on a supply and feed line of 1 1/4 " and want to justify the change of a new backflow, they are not cheap.

Rays Sprinklers

Supreme Member

Saturday, October 25th 2003, 10:33am

okay, you can find the pressure loss charts from the manufactures online site (if applicable) or your local irrigation distrubuter. Jsut to clarify you are saying you want to use a 1" backflow, but you have a 1 1/4" feed line?? Let me know.
Thanks
Ray
Rays Above and Beyond Automatic Lawn Sprinklers

Joseph L. Swinehart

Sunday, October 26th 2003, 2:40pm

I have a 1" on a 1 1/4 feed and output. The old tech probably only knew about a 1 ".

I want to know the differeance pressures for a 1 1/4" backflow which I am sure is the best.

I tried to find an on site but could not.[?]

Thanks

RVLI

Supreme Member

Sunday, October 26th 2003, 3:17pm

What kind of backflow are you using.

bhungue2

Advanced Member

Monday, October 27th 2003, 6:20am

I don't think that the 1' would restrict that much, when water is restricted for such a short distance it doesn't lose that much pressure. I'd stick with the one inch. But if you want wait for a second opinion.
Bhungue2

Joseph L. Swinehart

Monday, October 27th 2003, 12:09pm

I think a febco or wilkens. A 600-1 model

Rays Sprinklers

Supreme Member

Friday, October 31st 2003, 12:15pm

yeah your pretty safe going with a 1". They are most common and not much differnet from the larger.
Thanks
Ray

Joseph L. Swinehart

Friday, October 31st 2003, 3:16pm

Thanks for the respone.

My problem is that the valves and last sprays are a great distance apart.

The line coming out is 1 1/4 and the valves are 1" but the valve is 85' from the back flow and the zone is over 150 to last spray which does not have enough to push it up.

The line is in very , very heavy roots so checking and maybe down sizing pipe is not very cost and time effective.

That is why I was thinking if I just added more pressure even a little by upsizing to a 1 1/4" backflow.

Any helpful hints or charts would be helpful

Joe S.

Rays Sprinklers

Supreme Member

Saturday, November 1st 2003, 10:05am

Okay when you have a run oer 100 feet you need to telescope. You have to start with a 11/4" or 1" pipe at the valve and every 50 feet knock down the size (up to 3/4" as the smallest) what size pipe do you have now in the ground? You need to start big and end small at the last head for that distance. That way you have enough water and pressure for the last head. Did you put this in?
Thanks
Ray

bhungue2

Advanced Member

Monday, November 3rd 2003, 7:09am

You definitely need to telescope
Bhungue2

Rate this thread