You are not logged in.

kidsdad47

Starting Member

Friday, August 19th 2011, 6:19am

Pump running hot

Just installed a new 2 hp pump and well system .I have a 2'' inlet and 1 1/2 outlet . Sprinkler systems main "trunk" is

1 1/4 " .. Zones are 6 to 8 heads each . (Hunter PGP's ) But after running the system for a couple hours the pump motor is running hot . I have a water pressure gage on the outlet side and it runs about 45 psi when the system is running . Is it possible I am running to much back pressure on the pump ? If so , is ther and easy fix ? I really don't want to "rezone " everything ....Help !

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, August 19th 2011, 8:36am

How hot is hot? What is the service factor of the motor? Is this a well point or surface water?

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Friday, August 19th 2011, 11:41am

Do you have a pressure relief valve on it? Is the pump in the sunlight in Texas were over 100 Degrees.
:thumbup: :thumbsup:

Central Irrigation

Supreme Member

Friday, August 19th 2011, 6:30pm

45 PSI on the outlet of the pump isn't bad. I would agree that we need to know what you're pulling the water from. Centrifugal pumps work harder pulling water than they do pushing it. Length and size of your suction line and height from pump to water line are key factors in pump sizing.

Keep in mind that most pumps will run hot enough that you won't be able to touch the motor for more than 5 seconds. Like said above, a 100 degree day will only make it hotter.

Rate this thread