You are not logged in.

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Wednesday, August 31st 2011, 12:39pm

Poly/pvc under the sidewalk

Don't know who mentioned here to use a pressure washer, but boy did it help me out. I needed to get under a 4 foot wide concrete sidewalk. After a few hours of digging out dirt/large/small rocks I tried the pressure washer. Presto. A three inch hole right through.

Whoever it was, many thanks.

grey

Advanced Member

Wednesday, August 31st 2011, 7:50pm

If you have one. I used 2 1/2" PVC pipe cut to 30 degrees. It took me about 20 mins to get under 3 1/2' sidewalk given it is sandy in my yard.

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Thursday, September 1st 2011, 8:03am

I started with a 6 ft crowbar. A couple football sized rocks. Very happy that job is done.

ReddHead

Advanced Member

Friday, September 2nd 2011, 6:02pm

I used a 1" Sched 40 natural gas pipe. Started it with a 16oz hammer and then started hitting it with a 16lb sledge. No exaggeration it only took a few minutes to get it under my 4ft sidewalk. Once I pulled the pipe out the 3/4" poly slipped right underneath. I also didn't wash out the dirt from under the sidewalk.

My fiancee's brother recommended using a hose attachment but I didn't want to risk a sidewalk that cracks after a few years.

I plan on using this same technique to get underneath my walkway from the driveway to my front door.

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Tuesday, September 6th 2011, 8:54am

Gas pipe/sledge - good idea. Actually in my case I needed a three inch hole for a 3 inch drainage pipe. I planned to insert four ploy pipes just in case I need them for irrigation in the future....but I forgot. I'll keep the gas pipe in mind, thanks

Jasper

Wednesday, November 9th 2011, 5:52am

probly ought to put most anything that's run under concrete inside a sleeve, especially poly.

Just saying. :D