You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

ParrishTurf

Sunday, September 4th 2011, 8:45pm

Irrigation Pump looses Prime, Pumps up hill, Suction from lake water

I have taken over a property that has an unusual irrigation (for Me) design. The pump is a Cent. pump 2HP 2" suction from lake and feeding only 2 circuits both up hill and both controlled by 2" rainbird plastic solenoid valves.
Note: There is no check valve in the suction line or just out of the pump.
The system works but the valves cannot hold closed and the lines drain back through the pump. Over time the pump looses prime.
Should I install a check valve? If so...Where? As a foot valve at the suction intake? At the Intake of the pump? On the output side of the pump? Or am I over working this and any of the three would hold pressure on the valves and keep them closed.
All constructive help would be appreciated. This system is costing me fortune to maintain and We have it under 100% warranty.
Thanks...

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, September 4th 2011, 10:16pm

I put a spring-loaded brass check valve on the intake, with a brass nipple connecting. That is for cast-iron pumps.

ParrishTurf

Monday, September 5th 2011, 6:59pm

Thank you for the advice...

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, September 6th 2011, 9:34am

The reason that it's brass on the suction side of the pump, is that sometimes the pumps get warm enough to slightly deform plastic that's threaded into them, so a metal nipple and metal check valve endures the temperatures, and prevents the formation of a suction air leak. If you wanted to add some backup, you could find some spot on the outlet-side plumbing, and cut in a plastic check valve.

Rate this thread