You are not logged in.

TeaMan

Friday, September 9th 2011, 7:11am

Pump box and components question

I'm installing my pump underground next to a Cistern that catches rain water. Does anyone know of a source for a box similar to a valve box that is big enough to house a pump and filter?
Also, any advice on any kind of filtering device for the bottom of the suction line like a foot valve with a strainer? The suction line is 2".
Filters: Any advice on a filter after the pump on the supply line? How about the mesh size? I read that 100 mesh would be fine to keep the sprinklers clean.
Float: Any advice on a float switch? I need a float switch to disable the pump when the water level is too low in the cistern.
Thanks
TeaMan

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, September 9th 2011, 1:20pm

Why place a pump below grade? Have you considered flooding?

TeaMan

Friday, September 9th 2011, 9:37pm

I live on a hill, there will be no flooding, the yard slopes so heavy rain will run off and if the pump box is a couple inches above the ground, it won't get any water in it. If it does, it will be minor and the gravel bed at the bottom will take care of that. Why below grade, I don't want a pump house sitting in the middle of my yard, and I wasn't able to find a suitable submersible pump that didn't require an unsightly pump house above ground in the middle of my yard.......

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, September 9th 2011, 10:32pm

And tell us why your pipes will never ever break and why your pump will never ever develop a leak.

Pipes break. Pumps leak. Get creative and hide the above-ground pump. If you don't feel creative, buy a fake rock to cover it, for the same money you would spend on an underground enclosure.

TeaMan

Saturday, September 10th 2011, 9:42pm

No different than an underground well pump to service a rural house. I grew up with one and never saw a failure. Besides the why wasn't the question.....

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, September 11th 2011, 11:02am

Underground well pumps have sealed motors - above-ground pumps do not - go and find your local electrical inspector and get his input on the legality of placing your pump below grade.

Rate this thread