You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

pfinger1

Friday, October 31st 2003, 7:56am

Rotor Helps....PLEEEEEEZZZ....

My yard will be 99% covered with 3 rotors...There is a 13' X 13' separated are<font face="Arial"></font id="Arial">a which is not coverable by the rotors....
With 60PSI/12GPM, how cover this area? I would HATE to add an additional line....any ideas on how I can cover this area with spray heads? Low GPM head?

RVLI

Supreme Member

Friday, October 31st 2003, 10:38am

13 x 13 area. What I would do in this situation would be to put a head in each corner and one in the middle for even coverage. Then nozzle them with 12' nozzles. If you need help laying the pipe in this type of situation, let me know.

Alex

pfinger1

Friday, October 31st 2003, 10:49am

Thanks...but what about the GPM since there are rotors on this line as well?

RVLI

Supreme Member

Friday, October 31st 2003, 12:21pm

So explain this. You must have a very small yard if your going to use 3 rotors and 5 spray heads? Your just better off making two zones. One spray and one rotor because the precipitation rates are not the same.

bhungue2

Advanced Member

Monday, November 3rd 2003, 7:36am

It's usually isn't a good idea to combine the two in one zone. But sometimes it's more practical to do so. I would put a spray in each corner with 12' nozzle, there should be plenty of coverage. As far as gpm 4-1/4circle-12'sprays would use about 2gpm's. And usually your rotors use about 3gpm's each. If your gpm's are maxed with your rotors you can use lower gallonage of nozzles in your rotors, if you change 2 rotors to two gallon nozzles you already give yourself enough gallonage to spare. If you have a lot of pressure in your rotors my guess would be that you probably have enough pressure/gpms without changing the nozzles in the rotors, to add the sprays.
Bhungue2

SprinklerGuy

Supreme Member

Tuesday, November 4th 2003, 3:22am

Who cares if he has enough pressure? That isn't the biggest issue here.

Here is:
Remember this is averages...don't jump down my throat if not perfect...you'll get the picture.

Rotors generally put out about 1/2 inch per hour of water right? (.4 actually..but it varies)
Spray heads are approximately 1.5 inches per hour right?

This means that: In 30 minutes of watering you will put down 1/4 inch of water on the majority of your lawn...and the small 13x13 area will get about .75 inch of water...3 times as much. And, if you do what RVLI tells you, it will be a friggin flood zone with all those heads...

So you say you will water less to make up for it? Won't help, now the rotors are getting not enough water to keep grass green... So you say you will hand water to make up for it? Not exactly an automatic system is it? why bother.

Split it into 2 zones if necessary....doesn't cost much more. If there are other factors determining this...let us know, maybe we have solutions. Good luck.
Sprinkler Solutions, Inc.
Arizona and Colorado
www.sprinklersolutions.net

pfinger1

Tuesday, November 4th 2003, 7:52am

Thanks for all your helps!!! The solution was the best solution for the grass BUTT, the worst solution for my ass...I dug and dug and dug....put in a whole new zone...new valve, etc.....just for the friggin 13X13 area....hopefully it'll pay off......

Man, my back is killing me....

drpete3

Supreme Member

Tuesday, November 4th 2003, 9:12am

Smart man. If a job is worth doing itis worth doing right. You did the right thing.
Thanks,

Pete

RVLI

Supreme Member

Tuesday, November 4th 2003, 10:44am

Tony I was talking about spray heads not rotors.

SprinklerGuy

Supreme Member

Wednesday, November 5th 2003, 2:56am

I know...I would hate to see what is around that grass area that you are going to soak with water if you put a 12 foot full spray head in the middle of a 13x13 square....wouldn't you?

The truth is....a 13x13 square is difficult to water with 12' heads is it not? You cannot get head to head coverage unless the pressure is WAY up there....so if you use 12' heads you will probably have dougnuts..unless the slope helps, we don't know the terrain and/or soil type. BUT...I wouldn't ever tell a guy to put a head that sprays 11-12 feet in "Radius" in the middle of a 13x13 foot square without knowing the terrain either....would you?

I didn't think so. 5 - 6 feet of overspray is never good.
Sprinkler Solutions, Inc.
Arizona and Colorado
www.sprinklersolutions.net

Rate this thread