You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Saturday, October 8th 2011, 4:27pm

Toro Pro Flo Solenoid wiring

Hi all,
I have a six station Toro system using the crap Pro Flo valves, which will all be replaced next spring. Two zones started to blow fuses, zones 1 & 6. The new solenoids I ordered have two wires, the old ones are the Tee Tops that have three wires. Initially when I replaced the solenoid and the diaphragm on zone 1, I wired it the same as the Tee Top solenoids, the positive wire and one common wire to one of the wires on the new solenoid and the other common wire to the other wire on the new solenoid, it blew a fuse. I then did some research and read that I should have wired the positive wire from the controller to one of the wires on the new solenoid, and the two common wires to the other wire opn the new solenoid. I did this on station 6, along with replacing the diaphragm and it now works fine. Did I screw up the initial solenoid by wiring it incorrectly? Other than that, I really don't know what else I can do. Any and all suggestions are appreciated, and yes, you are right. I don't know crap about sprinklers and wiring. :wacko: Thanks for your help.

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Saturday, October 8th 2011, 8:57pm

where do you live? Can you just shut the system down until spring time when you replace them?

To check the valve electrically the best way is to use a multimeter and read the ohms on the valve.

Sunday, October 9th 2011, 9:28am

Thanks Mitch, I live in NE, just reseeded a couple of weeks ago so wanting to keep the ground good and moist, the new grass is coming in well.

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Sunday, October 9th 2011, 1:40pm

More then likely that solenoid is shorted out thus causing the
controller to blow a fuse.. There could be further reasons why it is
shorting out but this is this most probable cause.

Unfortunately those solenoids are one of the worst kind of solenoids out there.

Sunday, October 9th 2011, 7:20pm

Thanks Mitch. Now both zones (1 & 6) are blowing fuses still. Last night after I discovered zone 1 was still blowing fuses, I ran 1 minute test run on zones 2 -6. They all worked, today when I went to run 2-6, 6 blew a fuse...again. Ughh..was hoping to at least figure this out before I start tearing it out next spring. I don't have alot of cash to dump into it now. :wacko: I appreciate the feedback...

mrfixit

Sunday, October 9th 2011, 9:38pm

Those solenoids are one of the worst ideas I've ever seen in a valve. You can easily hook them up wrong if you don't pay attention which would blow the fuse.

Try turning on all the zones at the controller with the ground wire disconnected at the valves. If it still blows the fuse you have a wiring problem. If not it was a problem at the valves.