You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

pphilt

Sunday, October 9th 2011, 9:55pm

irritrol 600ext one station does not work

Replaced an irritrol 600 ext with 5 zones but station 4 does not work. I get 24 volts on all but zone 4. Zone 4 gives 7 volts only. CHecked solanoid at valve 4 with 2- 9 volt batteries and it opens it up fine. I tried to open zone 4 manually through the controller but doesnt turn on. Checked for bad connection but cannot detect any. Used tone generator and probe and continuity seems to be ok. Tried to switch the line to zone 4 to zone 5 but still does not open. What am I doing wrong?
thanks,
PHil

mrfixit

Monday, October 10th 2011, 1:28am

There might be a bad splice somewhere along the line.

pphilt

Monday, October 10th 2011, 12:28pm

I tested the resistance on both wires to the solanoid and both read about 25-70 ohms. Doesnt that indicate good continuity?
If so could the solanoid just be weak or damaged where it opens and clicks with my 2, 9volt batteries, but not the controller voltage? Why am I getting only 7-9 volts on zone 4? ZOne 5 is empty so I tried putting the valve on zone 5 connection and opening it manually. no luck still does not open.
I cannot see where there could be a bad splice along the conduit. Where would a cut splice likely be if it is buried in a conduit?
thanks,
Phil

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, October 10th 2011, 1:21pm

swap zone wires on the controller - if a good zone fails to work on the zone 4 terminal, then your controller is faulty

pphilt

Monday, October 10th 2011, 11:17pm

I hooked up another zone wire on zone 4 and it worked. Ok so controller is ok. I tested the solanoid and it clicks and turns the water on and off fine. So it must be the 14 g wire to the valve? there is a white (ground must be ok since all the others work) and a yellow hot. So the yellow 14 gauge wire must be cut somewhere? Any hints where they usually break? it runs through a conduit about 60 feet long. I looked at any places it might be corroded or bent out of shape but nothing visible...if they spliced it 15 yrs ago and then snaked it inside the conduit it could be anywhere. I guess I could just get 75 ft of 14 g single strand and bury it and say to heck with it? Or can I pull it all out and snake a new line in? It feels really tight if I use 14g romex it will probably pull all the others out as well...
thanks,
PHil

JimmyTheGlove

Thursday, October 13th 2011, 3:24pm

RE: irritrol 600ext one station does not work

I guess I could just get 75 ft of 14 g single strand and bury it and say to heck with it?
thanks,
PHil
:thumbup: That is exactly what you should do.
Put your trust in Orbit Sprinklers :thumbsup:

Rate this thread