You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Monday, November 28th 2011, 9:46am

What irrigation is best for a small slope

I would like some help on irrigating my sloped hill. I currently am running a rain bird irrigation system. The following is the criteria that I have:

Rain bird ESP controller with 6 valves
Avg 40 #PSI
10 gal per min flow.
Slope is 6’6” with a 2’1” drop, soil is silty clay and length of run is 80’.
My landscape plan will incorporate shrubs, ground cover,and possibly some flower beds.

Some opinions state to run a ½” emitter tubing with a minimal of 18” spacing of the emitters. Others have noted a solid ½” tubing with emitters strategically placed near the plantings. Lastly I have read of running 3/4" or 1" pvc pipe the length of the slope and have mufti-emitter manifolds on risers with ¼” tubing distributing water to the plants. On the other hand it has been noted that 1/4” is not the way to go due to problems.

I have thought about upgrading the controller to the ESP-SMT to give me more control of the timing of water distribution on the slope.

Questions: What is the best way to build the drip system or there a better way? Should I scratch the
drip system idea and go with a sprinkler setup? What valve, pressure relief valve, and filter is best?

Any help would be grateful.

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Friday, December 2nd 2011, 9:00am

I would not do drip on a large area. I would use spray heads. I would also run the zones perpendicular to the slope. have your heads run horizontally on the slope not the full length of the slope. good luck.
:thumbup: :thumbsup:

Saturday, December 3rd 2011, 7:15am

Thanks for the feedback.If I go with sprinklers t'm thinking the the MPR spray heads would do me best due to the small 6'6" distance of the slope. I have Rain Bird throughout my system but is Toro or Hunter a better MPR unit. In my design planning I was going to use a 30 PSI relief valve. Is that a problem with the MPR?