You are not logged in.

charliew

Unregistered

Thursday, December 1st 2011, 5:08am

I plan to abandon the index valve for several reasons.

First it appears that the index valve and controller (KRain 2520) are originals. Zones occasionally are skipped. One of two things is happening. Is the index valve skipping a zone which means the first zone zone ends up getting watered twice? Or is the controller mechanical little trigger finger failing to activate the pump? In that case only three of four zones would get watered (assuming only one skip). How do I know this is happening? The valve should water north, east, south and end with west. After a bit I find it is starting and ending somewhere else.

Second performing maintenance on the system is a hassle because you have to cycle through the zones all the time in order to get back to the one I am testing.

Last occasionally we would like to be able to water only one zone - say for example a zone under repair where lots of water is needed. Can not do with index.

So I am thinking that repairing the existing system is sending good money after bad.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, December 1st 2011, 9:38am

Most often an index valve can be cleaned or rebuilt and made to work like new. For systems where the controller is directly powering a pump, that is something that a standard controller doesn't replace, without the addition of a pump control relay.

You may find that doing without the index valve will cost a lot more than a repair or replacement of said valve.

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Tuesday, December 13th 2011, 12:03pm

Do I see two ss clamps connecting the valve to the PE in that box?

I like the slip connection valves much more than threaded. No problems with not tight enough leak issues. Any situation where the threaded should be used?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, December 13th 2011, 12:24pm

No matter how crowded-looking a manifold I build, I always want to have the capability of unthreading a valve and replacing it. That the Richdel-designed Irritrol valves are not known for having cracked bodies, is what allows confidence in those crowded layouts. {insert obligatory "knock wood" here}

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Tuesday, December 13th 2011, 12:31pm

Ok I'll stick with the threaded.