You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Saturday, December 24th 2011, 7:28am

Heavy brass 1" PVB support

My new 1" brass PVB is very heavy. My install will be as follows: pvc out of my house 18 inches above ground. 90 elbow up and install PVB. Outlet pvc add 90 degree elbow down into the ground 12 inches. Do I need any extra support? BTW it comes inside in the winter as I install pvc unions.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, December 24th 2011, 8:49am

Now you know why pros exit a house with copper (use type L) and stay copper through the PVB. Of course they never remove a PVB for indoor storage.

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Saturday, December 24th 2011, 9:19am

I already have the pvc installed. Too risky to use?

EDIT: I'll replace the pvc with copper to the PVB. I'll dump the unions also and make the PVB a permanent install

Since I now need a drain between the PVB and valve box, I bought a pvb tee with a threaded plug. This ok?

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "wsommariva" (Dec 24th 2011, 10:24am)

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, December 25th 2011, 9:28am

Risky? PVC is frail compared to type L copper, especially in the cold of winter, when it is more brittle.

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Sunday, December 25th 2011, 2:09pm

I used copper to the PVB. All done until Spring.

I couldn't sweat the joint...too cold, so I supported the PVB with heavy duty tape until warmer weather. EDIT: Bought propolyne gas - done with the solder in one minute!!

Need to install blowout between PVB and valve box - what's the best method?

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "wsommariva" (Dec 26th 2011, 11:35am)