You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Unregistered

Saturday, December 24th 2011, 6:44pm

Well loses prime

Recently purchased a home with an irrigation system. Brand new pump installed by the sellers "handyman." after finding and repairing the broken lines and heads we discovered a little issue. The well had been removed from the system (previous owner disconnected the well PVC fittings). I have replaced the plumbing to the well with a new check valve and what not. Primed the suction line from the pump and tried to draw off the well. I had success, and thinking I had achieved victory I turned off the system (after 30 minutes of watering) and went to bed. 2 days later I discovered the well had lost prime and upon firing up the pump I had no water. Checked all fittings on the suction line and they appear fine. Not sure what else to do. Any advise would be great! Thanks so much in advance.
-George-

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Sunday, December 25th 2011, 12:39am

So you rebuilt the entire sprinkler line from the bottom of the well with a new check valve to the pump? What kind of check valve was it? A Foot Valve?

Have you re-primed this yet and had the same issue?

Somewhere you have a leak in your line that's causing it to de-prime

Unregistered

Wednesday, December 28th 2011, 10:51am

Yea I rebuilt the plumbing at the wellhead. I did not however run any plumbing down the well. I used the existing pipe. Still having the same problem.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, December 28th 2011, 1:14pm

why would you assume the plumbing in the well itself needs no attention?

Unregistered

Thursday, December 29th 2011, 2:13am

Well I wasn't sure if it did or not. When I was able to run it for 30
Min or so with no issues (after fixing the broken pipes) I figured the problem was fixed... Then it lost prime so I'm not sure what else to do. I'm in central fl so my well lines go down through mostly soft earth.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, December 29th 2011, 9:18am

If you have a well point, then there isn't anything more you can do on the suction side. If you have a well shaft, with a pipe dropping into it, then there would likely be a foot valve at its end. The foot valve would cause loss of prime, if it isn't 100 percent effective at holding back water. Are there any other check valves at the pump?

Unregistered

Thursday, December 29th 2011, 1:40pm

You'll have to forgive me I'm not the most knowledgable about this. The well head is a metal T fitting with a cap on one end, the suction line on the other, and the well shaft on the last. As far as I can tell the metal pipe extends down and there are no other pipes inside the metal one.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, December 29th 2011, 6:14pm

bring back some photos - there has to be a check valve somewhere