You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Father87

Unregistered

Sunday, January 1st 2012, 10:11am

Well pump running dry

Hey all, Happy New Year!
I'm posting from my phone while at work so I'll give more info when I'm home. Anyhow, I have a 1.5hp pump that draws water from a well. I'm assuming it was put there when house was constructed in early '04. House is on a lake but I'm not sure if it draws water from the lake. I've seen in my pedal boat some neighbors have a pipe extending into the lake but I don't see that for mine. Perhaps neighbor did his on his own and not with contractor during preconstuction.

So, my sprinklers were working fine less than a week ago and I went to go turn them on recently but no water was coming out. As far as I can tell it sounds the same as it was when working, only sounds a little different when I turn it off. Sort of a dry running sound. No change have been made except I removed this SprinkleRite system from the drain hole because it didn't have enough suction so it wasn't working anyway and plugged the drain hole back up. The spinklerite system has been here since I bought the house also, but never worked due to lack of suction by pump through the drain plug. I ordered the correct drill and tap to install it directly through the PVC intake but now discovered no water is being pumped out through sprinklers. They were working even after I put the drain plug in though.

I guess that's about all I can tell you, looking forward for some answers. Young first time home owner is desperate and so is my dying lawn.

Thanks

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, January 1st 2012, 11:05am

We need photos of the equipment. If there is a well shaft, we need to know how deep it is and where the water level is.

Father87

Sunday, January 1st 2012, 11:22am

Ok I'll post several as soon as I get home.
I have no idea about well. If it matters I'm in south Florida where we hit water as soon as we dig, no basements etc

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, January 1st 2012, 1:42pm

Florida has had issues with dropping water tables.

Father87

Sunday, January 1st 2012, 4:58pm

ok here's the pictures http://imageshack.us/g/51/photo1dew.jpg/ and even a video at http://youtu.be/LVqChq5x7hg

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, January 1st 2012, 8:17pm

You might have a well point. a number of things are visible. First and most important is there being no check valve visible. A second thing missing that a pro would have installed, is metal pipe nipples on both the inlet and outlet of the pump. The reason for that is that heat at the pump can work a leak into a previously bubble-tight connection (and in Florida, you got heat even before you turn on the pump)

Father87

Sunday, January 1st 2012, 9:01pm

Anything else I can try before paying someone?

Rate this thread