You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

dtirey

Saturday, January 7th 2012, 11:46am

Sprinkler zone starts, but then quits

All,
I'm new to the site so first let me start off by saying hello. I'm a homeowner newbie that is in the military. I do have experience in electrical systems though. So, I have noticed when I wake up in the morning that my grass and driveway isn't wet as it should be since my irrigations system starts at 6am. I ran the system in manuel starting with zone 1. It began to run for about 1 minute and quit working. Tried to go to zone 2 and then zone 3 with no luck. I tried to restart zone 1 and it wouldn't kick on. The next day it did the same thing. So, let me tell you what I have done so far.
1) Manual turned the valves, all zones work properly. I know it isn't a pressure issue.
2) Figured it was an old controller,so bought a new one...still didn't work.
3) Got a volt meter and checked the readings when zone should be activated. All zones where 28VAC...I realized I can return the new controller.
4) disconnect all wiring. Read OL on each wire reading individual. Shorted wires and read a short. I know the wiring is good, and has good conductivity.
5) I read each solenoids resistance. Zone 1 and Zone 2 (Hunter ASV-101) read 24 ohms. Zone 3 (orbit 57623) read 30 ohms. I figure the difference is because it is different brands.
I checked connections but not thoroughly at the time. I figured if system came on for a minute, then connections had to be good. Any help on this system would be greatly appreciated. Dtirey

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "dtirey" (Jan 7th 2012, 11:52am)

mrfixit

Saturday, January 7th 2012, 2:12pm

This is one of those tricky ones to figure out over the net.

Is there a master valve or a pump? City or well water?

Is there a filter on the line?

Is there anything on the line before the valves?

Look and see if there's a spare wire running from the controller to the valves. I'd replace the ground wire and see what happens. You could use one of the hot wires as a temp ground just to see if they'll run.

Maybe someone else will chime in with an idea.

dtirey

Saturday, January 7th 2012, 2:38pm

It's city water. No filter online. I not for sure about a master valve or pump. With that being said, when it did turn on you could hear a loud "thud" of something kicking on in my wall.
I have also took readings at the valves, and they are getting the voltage.

dtirey

Saturday, January 7th 2012, 2:57pm

Does have a master irrigation control valve in front yard. Manually started sprinks and tested valve coming from city. It works fine was open and feed water to sprinkler valves.
Now, as far as the ground I'm not sure what you are talking about. There is only 1 ground wire from the AC adaptor to the controller. The adapter steps down the voltage to 120vac to 28vac. One the new controller I bought there was no ground wire at all. It had an easy plug adapter that plugged into the controller. Either way, there was no wired that were connected to a Pump or main valve, so I'm guessing the answer to that is no.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, January 7th 2012, 4:33pm

Redo every field wiring connection - no exceptions.

dtirey

Saturday, January 7th 2012, 5:05pm

I rewired everything....no luck. Not making since to me

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Saturday, January 7th 2012, 5:07pm

Checked connection from controller to master valve?

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Saturday, January 7th 2012, 5:09pm

Maybe not running the controller right?

dtirey

Saturday, January 7th 2012, 6:23pm

I don't have a master valve besides the valve from the city to my sprinkler valves,....nothing that requires any wiring

dtirey

Saturday, January 7th 2012, 6:25pm

I know I'm running the controller right, because I always run it the same way when testing sprinks. Especially living in CA, I have to manually run during the summer to make sure grass gets enought water when I see it is getting dried out.

Rate this thread