You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

granpops

Starting Member

Tuesday, January 24th 2012, 10:46am

Timer control-Change from 2011 to 2012

I have been told that my Hunter sprinkler system will not work since the year has not changed to 2012 on the control. Is this correct? If so, what do I do to correct this?

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Tuesday, January 24th 2012, 10:56am

Just use 2011. You will be a day or two off, but cheaper than buying a new controller.

mrfixit

Tuesday, January 24th 2012, 12:57pm

I can't tell from here but it sounds fishy to me. Try resetting the controller to the factory settings and reprogram it. It should work.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, January 24th 2012, 1:51pm

I can't tell from here but it sounds fishy to me. Try resetting the controller to the factory settings and reprogram it. It should work.
If your old Hunter SRC controller won't show the year 2012, it doesn't mean end times have arrived. What it does mean is that it is one of the older versions that failed to have an extended calendar database. Since these clocks only have the years 1996-2011 in the database, you have to pick a year where the days of the month line up properly with the days of the week. What makes this difficult is leap years, but for those people in northern climates, you can put off worrying about this until the month of March or April, at which time you set the year to 2001, which keeps you in good stead for the next three years.

Here is a short list of settings for the SRC. The left-hand number is the actual year. The right-hand number is the year you set the clock for

2012 - 2001
2013 - 2002
2014 - 2003
2015 - 2009
2016 - 2005
2017 - 2006
2018 - 2007

So, if you change the settings in March, or later, you only have to do this three times in the next seven years (2012, 2015, 2016)

mrfixit

Tuesday, January 24th 2012, 3:38pm

I hadn't heard that before. I didn't know that about the SRC. You taught an old dog a new trick. Now where are my slippers. hmm

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, January 24th 2012, 4:39pm

I had been given to understand this was the reason the SRC was discontinued, but that doesn't take into account that the last ones delivered had a calendar extending to 2045 - at any rate, a controller that lasts longer than the manufacturer planned on, is not really a bad thing.

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Tuesday, January 24th 2012, 4:57pm

I also appreciate the knowledge. I will know what to do when this comes up. Excuse me, "Maam you need a new controller, this one only works until 2011."

Just teasing.

Good knowledge.

:thumbup: :thumbsup:

sportmom

Unregistered

Thursday, April 26th 2012, 7:44am

Well, thanks, this was a lifesaver. Trying to figure out why my sprinkler watered on the wrong day today. We've had alot of rain in N. Texas this spring, so just now putting it on for the season to auto, rather than a manual run here and there. People who say on other forums that the year doesn't matter on days of week watering are WRONG, because the year is the only way the system knows what day of the week it is. Mine thinks today is W because I'm forever stuck in 2011. So your handy chart is a lifesaver. BUT, this controller aggravates me for other reasons as well, like when I'm trying to run a station manually (like 7 or 8), I set the time, and it resets to station 1 when I set it back to run! I've followed the directions to a "T" and yet 90% of the time it does this to me. The only workaround I've found is to run "all stations manually" and then set 1-6 for 0 and let 7 or 8 or whatever I"m testing cycle thru. VERY TIME CONSUMING, esp when I have a repair tech waitinng for me to turn on the right station. Grrrr Anyone know the fix to this? Or, maybe, how much a replacement unit will cost? Thanks!!

sportmom

Unregistered

Thursday, April 26th 2012, 7:47am

Sorry, trying to run section 7 or 8 not smiley face. If I do RUN MANUAL STATION, it lets me arrow advance to the station, hit enter, and then I can adjust the time. I should just then spin the dial back to RUN and it will run that one station only. Before I can spin it though or AS I'm spinning it, it turns back to 1, effectively never letting me test just one station. Am I doing something wrong??

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, April 26th 2012, 4:57pm

There may be some "twitchiness" in the switch contacts, and you just have to get a feel for making an older controller work, in spite of it.

Rate this thread