You are not logged in.

root_dawwg6600

Unregistered

Tuesday, January 31st 2012, 6:41am

Pump running but no water

So here's the situation. I turned off my pump for about one month in lieu of travel and the winter months. Before turning it off, the sprinkler system worked great. When I went to turn the pump back on, the pump would run but no water. I thought I had lost my prime so I pulled the priming plug and filled the cavity until full. When I turned the pump back on, the pump would turn on but no water. Nothing at any sprinkler head. I have a self-priming flotec pump (1 hp) for a shallow well (not sure of the depth but I would assume 20' to 25'). Not sure what I should attack next. I thought maybe the impellor is not running because the pump is making a terrible sound now...not sure if air is getting into the pump but I find that hard to believe when the system ran fine a month ago. Could there be something wrong with the pump? I thought about taking the pump to a repair center to have it checked out but wanted to make sure there wasn't anything I was missing. I don't believe a foot valve is installed but could there be something wrong with the check valve? I haven't dug it up yet so I'm not sure what the state of it is. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, January 31st 2012, 12:20pm

The water level in the ground may have dropped. When the water table gets lower, some pumps become very unhappy. Noise like gravel inside the pump is a sign of cavitation. Assuming you have a well point, you can check the water depth. Is there any check valve in the pump setup?

Some photos will help you get a diagnosis.

root_dawwg6600

Unregistered

Wednesday, February 1st 2012, 6:58am

After consulting with a few sprinkler system installers, they recommended a place to drop my pump off just to have it checked out. I'll keep you posted once I hear back from the diagnostic.