You are not logged in.

seansy59

Advanced Member

Sunday, February 5th 2012, 7:19pm

Slip or Threaded Valves?

Easy question. Do you prefer/which is more reliable? Slip on (glue) valves, or threaded?
I am looking at purchasing 1" Hunter PGV-100 valves to replace my Toro 3/4" ones. If the Hunter isn't any good, what do you suggest as a 1" valve? I will be getting at least 6, so I need it to be cost friendly.......
Hoping 1" valves will give me a little more GPM since the mainline is 1". I know valves and PVB's restrain the water flow alot.
I'm no expert..........YET! :D I just like to suggest things and learn... :thumbsup: See what the pro's have to say first.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, February 6th 2012, 10:04am

Always threaded in cold climates with poly pipe systems

seansy59

Advanced Member

Monday, February 6th 2012, 1:19pm

Always threaded in cold climates with poly pipe systems

Many thanks!!!! The mainline will be 1" PVC, threaded 1" valves, and the laterals are already 3/4" poly buried 5"-8".
I'm no expert..........YET! :D I just like to suggest things and learn... :thumbsup: See what the pro's have to say first.

grey

Advanced Member

Monday, February 6th 2012, 1:36pm

Go 1" poly all around for laterals. Burial depth is kinda shallow for my liking. I did mine at 12"+.

seansy59

Advanced Member

Monday, February 6th 2012, 1:43pm

Go 1" poly all around for laterals. Burial depth is kinda shallow for my liking. I did mine at 12"+.
Laterals are already buried. I'm not redoing the whole system. 3/4" is fine for 3-4 sprinkler heads. 5"-8" is all I could do with a shovel, and then add 550' of digging in total. A ditch-witch or pipe puller is/was too big to go through our yard to get to where we need it.

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Monday, February 6th 2012, 2:11pm

Pick axe worked well for me.

grey

Advanced Member

Tuesday, February 7th 2012, 1:10am

5"-8" is all I could do with a shovel, and then add 550' of digging in total.

I guess its too late to suggest anything else but what helped me (unless its really rocky soil) is filling the trench with water, letting it sit for some time. It helped me quite a bit.

Rate this thread