You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

wingerman

Unregistered

Thursday, February 16th 2012, 6:33pm

How to remove old anti-siphon valve

How do I remove a old/cracked/leaking anti-siphon valve? The "incoming" pipe is metal and the pipe leading out to the sprinklers is PVC. I don't have a problem sawing and replacing PVC portion but wasn't sure about the incoming metal side. Looks like the previous owners had tried to fix leaks a few times with the blue glue. Just use a pipe wrench??

It's a Lawn Genie Automatic Anti-Siphon Valve Model #L7034

Thanks!

seansy59

Advanced Member

Thursday, February 16th 2012, 9:24pm

If the valve itself, or the diaghram is giving you a problem. You can swap the guts out between a new/old one. If its the body and threaded connections, then you will need to remove the old one first.

Pictures are worth a thousand words........

Working on the PVC side would be easy. The metal/copper is where you are going to do 80% of the work if you need to replace it. The copper male thread into the plastic female thread is a common no-no. Cold/hot expansion and contraction will break the plastic threads if they are tightened too much. It should always be plastic male INTO metal female. This is probably why it is leaking.
I'm no expert..........YET! :D I just like to suggest things and learn... :thumbsup: See what the pro's have to say first.

mrfixit

Thursday, February 16th 2012, 11:11pm

Let me throw in my two cents. The valve in question is a jar top. That model in particular is famous for leaking. Sometimes you can just tighten it and it'll stop leaking. If not replace the whole thing. I've had nothing but bad luck trying to keep one of those things from leaking once they've started, even with a whole new bonnet and diaphragm.
When you unscrew the valve just make sure the metal pipe is stable. Make sure it doesn't turn. What I mean by that is sometimes the manifold is plastic with a metal nipple screwed into it. You can break things if it is. If the manifold is also galvanized then no worries.
If you don't have room to unscrew the valve, simply cut it in half.
Use a wire brush on the metal threads. Use teflon tape and install the new valve.
PS. Please buy a different model valve. The 2711APR will do the trick.
2711 < click on that.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "mrfixit" (Feb 16th 2012, 11:17pm)

Rate this thread