You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Wednesday, February 22nd 2012, 9:39am

Start up date?

Hi everyone. I've started digging trenches for my new system. Don't want to test until there is no danger of freezing. May 15th is generally last day for frost in northern NJ. So, is there any estimated day where you pros in the area add water to new systems? Or is it a see as you go thing every Spring?

seansy59

Advanced Member

Wednesday, February 22nd 2012, 1:51pm

I am "redoing" and adding on to a bit of my system this year alsp. I am going to wait till March/April to start, and will start the water for each zone I install, but I will drain the water out of each line once I test it for leaks BEFORE I fill in the trench since freezing and frost still happens. This includes your mainline. A little tedious, but will pay off if you want to start early and don't want to ruin anything else.
I'm no expert..........YET! :D I just like to suggest things and learn... :thumbsup: See what the pro's have to say first.

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Wednesday, February 22nd 2012, 2:37pm

I want to avoid blowing out the lines. I'm going to install, bury the PE except where it connects to a head/valve/fitting so I can check for leaks. Then when I think it's safe, turn the water on.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, February 22nd 2012, 2:44pm

Jersey has it easy - for a sure thing, never open the system prior to the income tax deadline.

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Wednesday, February 22nd 2012, 3:16pm

I was thinking May 1. Tax day it will be. Thanks very much.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, February 22nd 2012, 6:35pm

Of course, if you live near High Point, you wait a bit - you can always find temperature records on the web, and you look at the possibility of getting near a record-low temp.

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Thursday, February 23rd 2012, 8:04am

I'm not quite that cold as High Point and will monitor forecasts.

Rate this thread