You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Wednesday, February 29th 2012, 10:04am

1" PE design question

Hi everyone,

I read somewhere that I should use 3/4" PE running to the last head in a zone. My plan calls for 1" all around.

Unless I change something, I need 528 feet of PE. I can only get PE in 100 ft length. So, can I use 28 ft of my leftover 3/4" PE on my last head that will be MP Rotator MP1000. Last 28 feet runs downhill about 5 feet elevation drop.

ReddHead

Advanced Member

Wednesday, February 29th 2012, 10:56am

Definitely. The 3/4" will provide more than enough flow for a single MP1000. Just use a 1" to 3/4" reducing barb and you're all set.

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Wednesday, February 29th 2012, 11:00am

Good, thanks very much.

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Wednesday, February 29th 2012, 1:34pm

The only thing reducing down does is saving a little bit of money for the parts

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Thursday, March 1st 2012, 8:10am

In my case I hope to not end up with a lot of unused PE

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, March 1st 2012, 9:05am

There is no practical modern need to reduce pipe size. The practice made sense in olden days, with older sprinkler heads, and no swing pipe connections. The idea then was a smaller pipe at the end of the run would be a "brake" to the onrush of water that could cause damage at the moment the air left the last sprinkler, and the water would hit it like a battering ram.

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Thursday, March 1st 2012, 9:49am

I'm glad I'm using swing pipes.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, March 1st 2012, 10:40am

Golf course systems can have worries about the "battering ram" effect, but they are dealing with water on a much larger scale. They can use specialty control valves that open only partially, until the point is reached where all the air has left a zone. Home systems in days of old had heads with higher flow rates than modern sprinklers, so they had more worries.

Rate this thread