You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

serenity2703

Unregistered

Tuesday, March 6th 2012, 4:55pm

Drip irrigation

I am looking at adding a raised vegetable garden to my back yard. I have an existing rainbird system in both the front and back yard. In this particular area my two long skinny beds (12' L x 3' D x 2' H) will lay directly over my existing spray heads. The current heads are half circle with about a 3" throw and are watering grass that will be removed during renovation.

Being a veggie garden I was looking into converting it to drip irrigation. That appears to be a a headache. Could I put 2' risers on the existing heads and be okay? or is there an easy way to add drip irrigation to these heads? With the hot Texas summers I am concerned with water burn. Last summer it was 98 degrees at night and my grass burned when I watered at 10 pm. The only head converters I found had 4 barbs which is way more than I need given the number of heads in the bed and bed size.

Open to any suggestions.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, March 6th 2012, 5:54pm

existing spray heads can be replaced by Rainbird 1800-Retro assembies, to give you filtered low-pressure water for drip usage.

Wednesday, March 7th 2012, 1:15pm

Remember that you must convert all heads on the zone or cap off unused heads.
You don't want a zone with part drip/part spray.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, March 7th 2012, 3:03pm

There are some oddball ways to add drip to spray or rotor zones, if you have the spare capacity, and the high-volume discrete emitters like Rainbird offers ( those don't drip so much as they dribble )

Wednesday, March 7th 2012, 3:27pm

Drip is economical to install, saves water and is easy to retrofit onto an existing system
It can also be very confusing to the new user.
The terminology and flow rates are different from what we are used to.
Not to mention the hardware .
For ideas and guidance go HERE.

Rate this thread