You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

PaulV

Monday, March 19th 2012, 4:48am

How to connect the ontroller to the starter

Hi, I am totally new to irrigation. I have succesfully connected 12 valves to my Hunter Eco-Logic controller, which is fed by my borehole pump. 5,5kw and everything works fine.

However, I need to start the borehole phyiscally, then strart irrigation. When the program is completed after 5 hours, I have to stop the borehole pump physically or else it will pop my pipes/connections.

I am also worried that the power to the controller trips and all valves shut down, but the borehole i still running, which will pop the pipes or connetions.

Can I use the Master control valve power (not in use) on the controller to start and stop the pump, and how do I do that. I believe both is 24volt.

My boreole pump starts/stop with a push switch looking like this:

(inside of door of the starter where the switches are, three low volt wires from the starter to the run/stop switch)

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, March 19th 2012, 6:55am

You need to contact the pump manufacturer, and follow their guidelines. In general, the master valve output of a controller can power a relay, and the relay can then power a pump. A more comprehensive method involves adding a pressure tank and pressure switch, and letting them control the pump, independent of the sprinkler controller.

Monday, March 19th 2012, 7:10am

For a basic run down on how to hook it up, goHERE. Other features you can add are HERE

PaulV

Monday, March 19th 2012, 8:46am

Thanks, I have already contacted the Grunfos agents in South Africa but they are not very helpful and I have to pay an arm and a leg for them just to come out to my farm to give a quote.

I have considered installing a pressure switch but encountered the same results.

I though there might be an easy way to operate(replace) the push switches (start relay) on the pump starter with the Master Valve output as both operates at the same voltage.

Monday, March 19th 2012, 8:54am

PaulV,
Maybe I don't understand the question. Can the push switches not be replaced by a pump relay?
Your set up is very common. The usual solution is to hook a pump relay to the master valve connection and go from there.
What am I missing?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, March 19th 2012, 9:10am

The reason I would always consider a combination of a pressure switch and a tank, is that they allow for two things not taken into account by a simple pump relay. The first is a possibility of the relay being activated when a zone isn't open. Some controllers activate the master valve a second or so before they activate a zone valve. Also, zone valves can fail in the closed position, and the controller won't know to shut off a pump. In either case, a relief valve will prevent catastrophe, but I never want to see a strong pump being deadheaded into a relief valve.

I have never heard of any pump not being able work in conjunction with a pressure tank.

PaulV

Tuesday, March 20th 2012, 6:27am

Thanks for all the replies. I have now inserted a pressure relief valve on the main line which should cover me should the pump is working while a valve is closed.

Would still like to connect the controller to the pump start. My starter box looks like this:

Would it be very complicated to connect the Master valve connection to the starter? Obviously the live goes to the Master control socket and the common goes to the common socket in the controller. That leaves me with the two wires going to the starter. Can that be connected directly to the push button wires or directly to the "starter relay"? and where could I find a wiring diagram?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, March 20th 2012, 9:11am

You have to follow mfr guidelines - do they give you a diagram of remote operation of your make and model of pump - that is what you look for first