You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

louis13

Saturday, March 24th 2012, 3:45pm

Water Supply

Hi...I am installing a sprinkler system in my yard and have a question with the water supply. I have installed 1" PVC main and zone pipes in the ground and are running approx 5 long range sprayers per zone and approx 4 zones. My house is on a slab (no basement) and I have a 1" feed line from the street to where it comes through the house foundation. The black 1" pipe from the street sticks up approx 6 inches out of the slab then is reduced to a 3/4 copper pipe where it comes through the drywall and into the water meter in my utility room. My question is, can I tap the 3/4 copper after the meter to fee my 1" PVC sprinkler main? It is only reduced to 3/4 copper for about 1-2 feet from the 1" line from the street. Do you think it will be a problem?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, March 24th 2012, 4:18pm

No problem feeding a larger pipe from a smaller one.

What are you using for backflow prevention?

louis13

Saturday, March 24th 2012, 4:24pm

1" Wilkins pressure vacuum breaker...

Will I have enough pressure for the system with a 3/4 source?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, March 24th 2012, 4:35pm

You measured your pressure? You did a flow test? First things first.

louis13

Saturday, March 24th 2012, 4:39pm

I measured the pressure on the hose bib and I believe it was 45-50 lbs. never did a flow test

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, March 24th 2012, 5:00pm

What you should be doing is to simply make your connection, right after the water meter, and bring the copper outside to your PVB, and then do a flow and pressure test. Only at that point can you know exactly what your water supply is.

louis13

Saturday, March 24th 2012, 5:07pm

I was going to use sch 40 1" PVC instead of copper from the meter area to the PVB...is that OK or do i have to run copper?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, March 24th 2012, 5:46pm

Sch 40 PVC indoors is a likely code violation, depending on your location - the rules want it used only for drainage. type L Copper is pricey, but it's strong.

louis13

Saturday, March 24th 2012, 5:51pm

how could i find out what my codes are here in New Jersey?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, March 24th 2012, 7:46pm

Easy - no indoor PVC in Jersey (and yes, you'll see it all over, but codes have changed) - If you had a really long run of pipe indoors, you would use the beige-colored CPVC pipe and fittings. For less than 20 feet, stay all copper. In any event, a pro doesn't run plastic pipe through the exterior wall.